[robotics-worldwide] Post Doctoral Research Position in Medical and Space Telerobotics at the Johns Hopkins University

Louis L. Whitcomb llw at jhu.edu
Mon Jun 3 12:12:02 PDT 2013

Post Doctoral Research Position in Medical and Space Telerobotics at the
Johns Hopkins University

The Johns Hopkins University Laboratory for Computational Sensing and
Robotics seeks to fill an immediate post doctoral or research scientist
position in telerobotics in the research areas of (a) sensing and
control to reduce model registration uncertainty and (b) virtual fixture
definition, simulation, and execution, as enabling technologies for
applications to problems in endoscopic surgery and telerobotic on-orbit
servicing of spacecraft via time-delayed telemetry.

In endoscopic surgery our objective is to develop new methods to enable
robotic drilling of the skull base without damaging the carotid arteries
or optic nerve. We employ virtual fixtures based on a preoperative plan,
but incorporate intraoperative sensing to incrementally reduce
registration uncertainty.

In space telerobotics our objective is to develop methods to enable
telerobotic systems to perform on-orbit servicing (e.g. repair,
refueling) of satellites under the remote supervisory control of human
operators on Earth. We will exploit new co-robotic research objectives
in the context of three manipulation tasks: thermal barrier blanket
cutting; rotary fastener removal/installation; and orbital replacement
unit removal/insertion.

The Laboratory for Computational Sensing and Robotics is the center of
robotics research at the Johns Hopkins University - more information on
our faculty, students, and facilities is available here:
https://www.lcsr.jhu.edu  The successful candidate will hold a post
doctoral appointment in the Department of Computer Science or the
Department of Mechanical Engineering.  Initial appointment will be for a
term of one year, with renewal for additional years possible.

To apply for this position, please email the following to Peter
Kazanzides (pkaz at jhu.edu) and Louis L. Whitcomb (llw at jhu.edu) as a
single PDF document with the words "Telerobotics Post-Doc" in the
subject line:

1. Cover letter including:
    - Brief summary of qualifications, experience
    - PhD institution, Department, and Advisor
    - Dissertation title, abstract, date
    - Name, email, and phone number of Ph.D. advisor and
      at least two additional references
    -  Link to website if appropriate
2. Curriculum Vitae

The Johns Hopkins University is committed to building a diverse
environment; women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply. The
Johns Hopkins University is an EEO/AA Employer.

This notice is posted online here: https://www.lcsr.jhu.edu/Jobs

Louis L. Whitcomb, Ph.D.
Louis R. Sardella Faculty Scholar
Director, Laboratory for Computational Sensing and Robotics
Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science
115 Hackerman Hall, 3400 N. Charles Street,
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 21218-2681
llw at jhu.edu, 410-516-6724, fax: 516-4410, http://lcsr.jhu.edu