[robotics-worldwide] Call for fellowships wanting to be held at the Bristol Robotics Laboratory

Walterio Mayol wmayol at cs.bris.ac.uk
Fri Jun 7 12:26:47 PDT 2013

Of potential interest to high quality Robotics post-doctoral and other
experienced researchers of -any- nationality from both outside and inside
the European Union.

You may be aware the EU has the prestigious Marie Curie fellowships
programme.
The Bristol Robotics Laboratory <http://www.brl.ac.uk> (BRL), in order to
manage increased interest and open our doors more widely to high-quality
post-docs and researchers, invites potential candidates that wish to be
hosted by the BRL under the above scheme to read further.

The final call for Marie Curie fellowships under FP7 is now open and the
deadline for submissions is 14th August 2013.

The BRL is a comprehensive Robotics centre sponsored by the University of
Bristol and the University of the West of England both in the lovely city
of Bristol in the South West of the UK. We are proud of our broad approach
to robotics supported by our new state of the art co-located facilities of
more than 3000sqm, encompassing:

   - Twenty six research bays each of approximately 25 sqm each.
   - Six laboratories that comply with Containment Level 2.
   - Two indoor flying arenas, one of 182sqm and the other of 106sqm both
   with optical motion capture systems.
   - Three dedicated and instrumented research bays for human-robot
   interaction with 3 high d.o.f. humanoid torsos equipped with dexterous
   hands and compliant arms.
   - Dedicated area for Robotics at Home experiments.
   - Large technical support labs with a range of rapid 3D prototyping and
   technicians support.
   - Expansion plans for outdoor robotics facilities.

Among other in-situ research infrastructure and facilities for seminars,
robotics business incubation and teaching related to our international MSc
and PhD programmes in Robotics.

Currently the lab has 14 research themes including: Aerial robots, Assisted
Living, Bioenergy & Self Sustainable, Biomimetic and neuro-robotics,
Medical robotics, Non-linear control, Robot vision, Safe human robot
interaction, Self-repairing robotic systems, Smart automation, Soft
robotics, Swarm robotics, Unconventional computation, Formal verification &
validation in robotics.
The lab is composed by a team of more than 100 people including faculty,
post-doctoral, PhD students and academic visitors.

We are looking to support high quality candidates to the FP7 Marie Curie
Fellowships via the University of Bristol and who can expand or complement
our robotics research activity.

In order to be guided and supported during the application process we ask
that any interested candidate wishing to be hosted by the BRL observes the
following process:

1) Prepare a full CV and a 2-5 pages statement of planned research in the
context of the Marie Curie fellowship (links to full details below).
2) Submit a single PDF file containing the information in (1) no later than
8th of July 2013 to alexander.fanourakis at brl.ac.uk with subject "Marie
Curie Fellowship at BRL".
3) After a selection phase, successful candidates will be contacted before
the 12th of July with guidance and contacts for receiving support in the
fellowship application process.
4) Complete the joint application in conjunction with us by 14th August 2013
.

***Please note that only high-quality candidates with a track record of
publishing in high quality robotics and related venues OR with clear
potential based on e.g. recently completed PhD work will be considered.

Informal enquiries can be made to Dr Walterio Mayol <wmayol at cs.bris.ac.uk>
also with subject "Marie Curie Fellowship at BRL".

Further application details can be read from the FP7 links below but a
summary of the requirements are as follows.

Eligible applicants must either have a PhD at the time of the call deadline
or at least 4 years full time research experience (inclusive of PhD). The
mobility rules require that the researcher has not resided or carried out
their main activity (work, studies, etc) in the country of their host
organisation for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to
the reference date.

Full details via the FP7 links below:

MARIE CURIE INTERNATIONAL INCOMING FELLOWSHIPS (IIF) [For researchers from
outside wanting to come to the EU]

https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/page/call_FP7?callIdentifier=FP7-PEOPLE-2013-IIF&specificProgram=PEOPLE#wlp_call_FP7

MARIE CURIE INTRA-EUROPEAN FELLOWSHIPS FOR CAREER DEVELOPMENT (IEF) [For
researchers in Europe and wanting to move to a different member state]

https://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/page/call_FP7?callIdentifier=FP7-PEOPLE-2013-IEF&specificProgram=PEOPLE#wlp_call_FP7

--
Dr Walterio W. Mayol-Cuevas
Department of Computer Science