[robotics-worldwide] 2nd CFP: RSS 2013 Workshop on Common Platforms in Robotic Manipulation

Matei Ciocarlie matei at willowgarage.com
Mon May 6 11:24:53 PDT 2013

Please find below the 2nd CFP for the RSS 2013 Workshop on Common Platforms
in Robotic Manipulation. We are happy to announce that have two additions
to our group of invited speakers:
 * Dr. Rainer Bischoff (KUKA)
 * Dr. John Hsu (Open Source Robotics Foundation)
We are also extending the deadline for submitted contributions by one week,
to May 17th. Please find all the details in the CFP below, or on the
workshop website.

Best Regards,
The Organizers

----------------------

Call for Papers

RSS 2013 Workshop on Common Platforms in Robotic Manipulation
Berlin, Germany
http://www.willowgarage.com/coman13

The organizers invite you to submit a paper for review to the RSS 2013
Workshop on Common Platforms in Robotic Manipulation. This full day
workshop will consist of oral presentations of contributed papers,
discussion sessions, and invited keynote speakers. The authors will have
the option of publishing contributed papers containing novel work in a
citable digital archive of the proceedings.

Important Dates

 * submission deadline: May 17th, 2013
 * notification of acceptance: May 31st, 2013
 * workshop: June 27, 2013

Description

This workshop will focus on common hardware and software platforms for
robotic manipulation. Participants will present work related to this theme,
including open source hardware, software and simulation platforms that are
being made available to the community. We will discuss results from
research projects demonstrating the successful (or unsuccessful) use of
common platforms for manipulation, including open source, commercial, or
government-furnished equipment. Topics of interest also include the notion
of benchmarking and comparing available hardware and software platforms for
grasping and manipulation through shared experimental protocols and data.

Our invited speakers will represent common platforms that have had a
significant impact on robotic manipulation. In addition to including both
hardware and software, we will aim to discuss the adoption and use of
robotic platforms from both the point of view of the producer  and the user.

Submission

All submissions should be in PDF format using the RSS template. Papers
should be approximately 4-6 pages in length. Submissions should be emailed
to coman13 at willowgarage.com by May 10th, 2013. Notification of acceptance
will be on or before May 31st. All submission will be reviewed for
relevance to the topic of the workshop as well as scientific merit. Reviews
will be carried out by the organizing committee, with additional input from
external reviewers as needed.

Invited speakers

 * Prof. Giorgio Metta (University of Genova)
 * Prof. Stefan Schaal (Max-Planck-Insitute for Intelligent Systems and
University of Southern California)
 * Dr. Sachin Chitta (Willow Garage)
 * Prof. Robert Howe (Harvard University)
 * Dr. Patrick Rowe (RE Squared)
 * Dr. Rainer Bischoff (KUKA)
 * Dr. John Hsu (Open Source Robotics Foundation)
(this list might evolve based on changes in travel plans)

Contact

Contact the workshop organizers via email at coman13 at willowgarage.com

Organizers

 * Lael Odhner (Yale University)
 * Matei Ciocarlie (Willow Garage)
 * Alberto Rodriguez (Carnegie Mellon University)
 * Aaron Dollar (Yale University)
 * Matt Mason (Carnegie Mellon University)

--
Matei Ciocarlie
Research Scientist