[robotics-worldwide] CfP: euRathlon WORKSHOP ON FIELD ROBOTICS in conjunction with the euRathlon 2013 competition

Frank E. Schneider frank.schneider at fkie.fraunhofer.de
Fri May 10 06:48:19 PDT 2013

CALL FOR POSTER
euRathlon WORKSHOP ON FIELD ROBOTICS
24-25 September 2013, Berchtesgaden, Germany
in conjunction with the euRathlon 2013 competition
http://www.eurathlon2013.eu/

This is a call for posters in the interactive session of the workshop. We
are pleased to offer an opportunity not only to participate in the workshop
as an attendee, but also to present a poster during the interactive session
to discuss ideas with other workshop participants.

OVERVIEW AND AIMS:
This workshop is focused on euRathlon scenarios and applications, and
intended primarily for student and researcher competitors or teams planning
to compete in euRathlon. Its aim is to build a shared understanding of the
major challenges of real-world robotics and cross-fertilising ideas across
research communities in land, underwater and flying robotics domains. The
workshop will provide an opportunity for attendees to deepen their
understanding of autonomous outdoor robotics, to share ideas and
experience, and to prepare themselves for euRathlon competitions.

euRathlon is a new outdoor robotics competition that invites teams to test
the intelligence and autonomy of their robots in realistic, demanding mock
emergency-response scenarios inspired by the Fukushima accident. A
competition for land-based vehicles in 2013 will be followed by one for
underwater robots in 2014 with the final competition in 2015 where there
will be possibility of terrestrial, marine and aerial robots to work
collaboratively to survey the scene (land, air and water), collect
environmental data and identify critical hazards.

The workshop is structured in two parts: first, expert content will be
delivered by invited keynote speakers and end users, i.e. professionals
working in respective scenario fields like fire fighting and rescuing
operation. Second, the workshop participants will have the opportunity to
present their own work in the interactive session of the workshop.

We invite submissions which focus on topics closely related to the
competition: on topics of unmanned ground, air, sea vehicles and their
combination on real systems (outdoor activity, no simulation!).  We are
stressing real applications. We welcome submissions from non-competitors,
if they are within the scope. We encourage especially young researchers to
participate. There will be the possibility to earn study credits (doctoral
or basic) from the workshop. For students we also provide the possibility
of getting travel support.

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Posters for the interactive session should be submitted via email in PDF
format to Prof. Juha Röning (juha.roning at oulu.fi). For the review the
material for the posters is asked to be provided in the from of short
paper. Submissions should be no more than 4 ISO A4 pages long, including
figures, tables and references. Please to use IEEE format.

Templates available in
Latex: http://ras.papercept.net/conferences/support/tex.php and in
Word: http://ras.papercept.net/conferences/support/word.php

To apply for a travel grant make a free format application giving reasons
why support should be given to you. (Include your curriculum vitae and a
description of ongoing research related to field robotics. Selection
criteria include applicant’s motivation and capability for successfully
entering the competitions in the future).

Program Committee:
1.	Juha Röning		(chair)
2.	Frank E. Schneider	(co-chair)
3.	Alan FT Winfield
4.	Yvan Petillot
5.	Antidio Viguria
6.	Pedro Lima

Technical Committee and local arrangements:
1.	Bernd Brueggemann
2.	Antti Tikanmäki
3.	Frank Woodcock

IMPORTANT DATES:
Paper and application for travel support: 10 June 2013
Notification of acceptance: 28 June 2013
Camera-ready posters: 15 August 2013