[robotics-worldwide] CFP: AAAI 2013 Fall Symposium on How Should Intelligence be Abstracted in AI Research: MDPs, Symbolic Representations, Artificial Neural Networks, or _____? (Deadline May 24th)

Sebastian Risi sebastian.risi at cornell.edu
Fri May 10 09:09:46 PDT 2013

(apologies for multiple posting.)

Dear colleagues,

We invite robotics-related contributions to our AAAI 2013 Fall Symposium
titled “How Should Intelligence be Abstracted in AI Research: MDPs, Symbolic
Representations, Artificial Neural Networks, or _____?”. Many subfields
of AI involve robotics or assume that robots have a critical role
in developing general theories for intelligence and how to recreate it
computationally. Overall, we aim to bring together a diverse group of
AI researchers interested in discussing and comparing how intelligence
and processes
that might create it are abstracted in various subfields. For example, such
discussion may include honest examination of the strengths and weaknesses of
different approaches, and what features of biological intelligence are crucial
or unnecessary to include in algorithms. We believe that the robotics community
clearly provides a valuable perspective that should be included in
such discussion.

We hope to encourage cross-pollination of ideas between researchers
viewing intelligence in different ways (e.g. through the lens of embodied
robotics or purely-computational simulation) and at different levels of
abstraction (e.g. biologically-plausible neural simulations or restricted
Boltzmann machines). One goal is to facilitate revising or creating new
abstractions of intelligence and intelligence-generating processes. More
information can be found here:
http://www.cs.ucf.edu/~risi/AAAISymposium2013/

Contributions related to how robotics relates to artificial intelligence are
invited. Extended abstracts that summarize the results of a research program
along these lines are most welcome, as are personal position papers or
contributions describing speculative work or work in progress. Works
bridging traditionally separate AI paradigms are encouraged.
Participants should be open to inspiration from work and ideas in
other subfields, and be willing to step outside their intellectual
comfort zones.

Interested participants are encouraged to submit extended abstracts
(no more than 2 pages), or full-length papers (up to 6 pages in AAAI
format) in PDF format to sebastian.risi at cornell.edu. Accepted
submissions will be published as citable, peer-reviewed papers in the
AAAI technical report.

Areas of interest include but are not limited to:

- Embodied robots / subsumption architecture
- Different levels and types of knowledge representation and reasoning
- Abstractions of the following:
   - Neural networks (e.g. deep learning networks, spiking ANNs, and
plastic ANNs)
   - Learning (e.g. machine learning and reinforcement learning)
   - Biological development (e.g. generative and developmental
systems, and developmental robotics)
   - Evolutionary search (e.g. digital evolution and evolutionary
algorithms)
- Biologically-inspired computation
   - Evolutionary robotics
   - Swarm intelligence
   - Artificial life
- Philosophical arguments on characteristics of appropriate abstractions for
AI

The symposium will be held Friday - Sunday, November 15-17 at the
Westin Arlington Gateway in Arlington, Virginia (adjacent to
Washington, DC).

** Invited Speakers **
Andrew Ng (Stanford University, USA)
Georg Striedter (University of California, Irvine, USA)
Randall O'Reilly (University of Colorado, Boulder, USA)
Risto Miikkulainen (University of Texas at Austin, Austin, USA)
More TBD

** Schedule **
Full Paper/Extended Abstract Submission: May 24, 2013
Notification: June 21, 2013
Final Camera-ready Paper/Extended Abstract: September 12, 2013

We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

-- Sebastian Risi, Joel Lehman, Jeff Clune

--
Dr. Sebastian Risi
Postdoctoral Fellow