[robotics-worldwide] Deadline extended: CfP: Humanoids'13 Workshop From Safety to Comfort in the Humanoid Coworker and Assistant

Jim Mainprice jmainprice at WPI.EDU
Mon Sep 9 17:53:07 PDT 2013

DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL 20 SEPTEMBER

CALL FOR POSTERS

Humanoids 2013, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
Workshop: From Safety to Comfort in the Humanoid Coworker and Assistant

https://sites.google.com/site/fromsafetytocomfort

IMPORTANT DATES

Poster abstract deadline: September 20th, 2013
Notification of acceptance: September 30th, 2013
Workshop Day: October 15th, 2013

Motivation and Objectives

The aging population in western societies as well as the always increasing
demand for productivity drives the need for robot coworkers and assistants.
Humanoids, being especially well suited to cope with human environments,
are the ideal robots for such roles. However, integrating the necessary
safety features while endowing the robots with a model of our behavioral
patterns and social habits is a difficult problem. How do we make the
robots’ motions safer? How do we make them more legible? How can we
recognize and predict the user’s intention?  How do we make robots
collaborate with users in performing complex tasks seamlessly? How do we
learn from observation and interaction with the user, while ensuring their
safety? This workshop intends to address these questions by bringing
together researchers and engineers from different sub-fields of robotics,
including but not limited to motion planning, machine learning, human-robot
interaction, and perception.

List of Topics

* Safe Motion Planning
* Human-Aware Motion Planning
* Human-Robot Interaction
* Human-Robot Collaboration
* Human Motion Analysis
* Learning from Demonstration
* Trajectory Generation

Submissions

We invite poster presentations, if you wish to participate we require a 1
page poster abstract
in the standard Humanoids conference format.
The abstract should describe the technique or experiments to be presented,
and give a brief overview of challenges and future work.

Submissions and questions should be directed to jmainprice at wpi.edu

Invited Speakers

Sylvain Calinon, Researcher, Italian Institute of Technology, Genova, Italy
Torsten Kroeger, Postdoc, Stanford, California, USA
Sami Haddadin, Lecturer TUM, DLR, Institute of Robotics, Munich, Germany
Charlie Kemp, Associate Professor, Georgia Tech, USA
Dongheui Lee, Assistant Professor, Technical University of Munich, Germany

Organizers

- Jim Mainprice, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Massachusetts, USA
- Dmitry Berenson, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Massachusetts, USA
- Dana Kulić, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Olivier Stasse, LAAS-CNRS, Toulouse, France