[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 2nd CFP: Qualitative Representations for Robots, AAAI Spring Symposium 2014

Nick Hawes n.a.hawes at cs.bham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 16 05:40:56 PDT 2013

Qualitative Representations for Robots
AAAI Spring Symposium 2014
March 24–26, 2014 at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California

The fields of AI and robotics have many approaches to representation and reasoning. This AAAI 2014 Spring Symposium focusses on one approach which has been growing in popularity in recent years: qualitative representations. Such representations abstract away from the quantitative features that underlie many physically situated systems, providing compact, structured representations which omit (unnecessary) detail. Qualitative representations have many advantages, including naturally encoding semantics for many systems, being accessible to humans, providing smaller state spaces for learning, allowing to build robust and complex applications and also suitability for communication. These advantages have seen them being increasingly used in intelligent, physically-grounded systems. This work is being done across many different subfields of AI including knowledge representation and reasoning, planning, learning, and perception. We strongly believe that the time is now right to bring these disparate groups together to share experiences and technical knowledge. We also wish to connect recent robotics work on qualitative representations to the rich history of related ideas in AI.

This symposium will address topics related to the use of qualitative representations or reasoning on robotics problems (e.g learning, perception, task/motion planning, interaction etc.), including qualitative representations of

* space
* motion
* time
* uncertainty