[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] We Robot 2014: Risks and Opportunities

Bill Smart bill.smart at oregonstate.edu
Sun Sep 29 09:24:23 PDT 2013

We Robot 2014: Risks and Opportunities
April 4 & 5, 2014
Coral Gables, FL

We invite submissions for "We Robot 2014: Risks & Opportunities" - a
conference at the intersection of the law, policy, and technology of
robotics, to be held in Coral Gables, Florida on April 4-5, 2014. We
Robot is now in its third year, returning to the University of Miami
School of Law after being hosted by Stanford Law School last
April. The conference web site is at http://robots.law.miami.edu/2014.

We Robot 2014 seeks contributions by academics, practitioners, and
developers in the form of scholarly papers or presentations of
relevant projects. We invite your reports from the front lines of
robot design and development, and invite contributions for
works-in-progress sessions. Through this interdisciplinary gathering,
we are encouraging conversations between the people designing,
building, and deploying robots, and the people who design or influence
the legal and social structures in which robots will operate. We
particularly encourage contributions resulting from interdisciplinary
collaborations, such as those between legal or policy scholars and
roboticists.

Robotics is becoming a transformative technology that presents many
legal and social challenges. This conference will build on existing
scholarship that explores how the increasing sophistication and
autonomous decision-making capabilities of robots and their widespread
deployment everywhere from the home, to hospitals, to public spaces,
and even to the battlefield disrupts existing legal regimes or
requires rethinking of various policy issues.

Scholarly Papers

- Topics of interest for the scholarly paper portion of the conference
  include but are not limited to:
- Risks and opportunities of robot deployment in the workplace, the
  home, and other contexts where robots and humans work side-by-side.
- Issues related to software-only systems such as automated trading
  agents.
- Regulatory and licensing issues raised by robots in the home, the
  office, in public spaces (e.g. roads), and in specialized
  environments such as hospitals.
- Design of legal rules that will strike the right balance between
  encouraging innovation and safety, particularly in the context of
  autonomous robots.
- Issues of legal or moral responsibility, e.g. relating to autonomous
  robots or robots capable of exhibiting emergent behavior.
- Usage of robots in public safety and military contexts.
- Privacy issues relating to data collection by robots, either built
  for that purpose or incidental to other tasks.
- Intellectual property challenges relating to robotics as a nascent
  industry, to works or inventions created by robots, or otherwise
  peculiar to robotics.
- Issues arising from automation of professional tasks such as
  unauthorized practice of law or medicine.
- How legal scholars should think about robots, and how roboticists
  should think about the legal code.

These are only some examples of relevant topics. We are very
interested in papers on other topics driven by actual or probable
robot deployments. The purpose of this conference is to help set a
research agenda relating to the deployment of robots in society, to
inform policy-makers of the issues, and to help design legal rules
that will maximize opportunities and minimize risks arising from the
increased deployment of robots in society.

Discussants

We also invite expressions of interest from potential
discussants. Every paper accepted will be assigned a discussant whose
job it will be to present and comment on the paper. These
presentations will be very brief (no more than 10 minutes) and will
consist mostly of making a few points critiquing the author’s paper to
kick off the conversation. Authors will then respond briefly (no more
than 5 minutes). The rest of the session will consist of a group
discussion about the paper moderated by the discussant. Attendees will
need to read papers in advance to understand and participate in each
discussion.

Works-in-Progress Presentations

Unlike the scholarly papers, proposals for the works-in-progress
presentations may be purely descriptive and designer/builders will be
asked to present their work themselves. We’d like to hear about your
latest innovations – and what's on the drawing board for the next
generations of robots as well, or about legal and policy issues you
have encountered in the design or deploy process.

How to Submit Your Proposal

Please send a 1-3 page abstract outlining your proposed paper, and a
c.v. of the author(s).

- Paper proposals accepted at http:/robots.law.miami.edu/papers
  starting Oct. 1, 2013. See http:/robots.law.miami.edu/2014 for
  further information.
- Call for papers closes Nov 4, 2013
- Full papers due by March 14, 2014. They will be posted on line at
  the conference web site.

We Robot 2014 will be hosted by the University of Miami School of Law,
Coral Gables, Florida on April 4-5, 2014. Venue details are at the
conference web site.

We anticipate paying reasonable round-trip domestic coach airfare and
providing hotel accommodation for presenters and discussants.