[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] HUMANOIDS 2013 Travel Grant - Dr. Kanako Miura

Mike Stilman mstilman at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Sep 29 20:57:10 PDT 2013

ANNOUNCEMENT: Student Travel Support to Humanoids 2013 - Kanako Miura

In recognition of Dr. Kanako Miura's contributions to Humanoid Robotics we are
initiating the Miura Memorial award supported by the IEEE RAS Technical
Committee on Humanoid Robotics. Our goal is to assist female PhD and MS
students entering the field with travel to Humanoids 2013 in Atlanta.

http://www.humanoids2013.com/support.html

Dr. Miura worked at AIST on the world-famous HRP-4C robot (nicknamed .Miim,.
from the Japanese). This agile robot brings hope to the dream of human-like
robots operating in real human environments. She continued her research in
advanced bipedal locomotion at MIT. Last spring, in a tragic accident, Dr.
Miura passed away. The entire Humanoids community is deeply saddened by this
event and is creating this award to remember both her achievements and
incredible energy as a dear friend and colleague.

In great respect of Dr. Miura's pioneering research, we invite all female
students interested in Humanoid Robotics to apply for this award. Please fill
out the application below and submit it by email to the technical committee:

http://www.humanoids2013.com/support.html

If travel support is granted, the student will be asked to report at the
conference site, showing her valid passport (or US Driver's License) and flight
tickets to receive travel support. The student should certify that the part of
the travel expenses covered by the received support is not otherwise covered by
university, foundation or industry funds. The application must be submitted to
IEEE-RAS Technical Committee on Humanoid Robotics at asfour at kit.edu by October
5, 2013.

Travel support will cover partial reimbursement for conference/workshop
registration at an early registration rate, transportation and accommodations.
Each awardee will be eligible for up to $1000 USD.

Tamim Asfour, Mike Stilman, James Kuffner and Eiichi Yoshida

Prof. Mike Stilman
General Chair: IEEE Int. Conf. On Humanoid Robots
Director: Humanoid Robotics Lab
Robotics and Intelligent Machines
Georgia Institute of Technology
email: mstilman at cc.gatech.edu