[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Assistant / Associate Professor Positions in Computer Science - UMass Amherst

Rod Grupen grupen at cs.umass.edu
Mon Sep 30 07:09:02 PDT 2013

University of Massachusetts, Amherst
School of Computer Science

   The School of Computer Science at the University of Massachusetts Amherst invites applications for four tenure-track faculty positions in computer science for the 2014-2015 academic year.  Applicants must have a Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related area and should show evidence of exceptional research promise.
   Three tenure track positions are available at the assistant or associate professor levels in the areas of 1) Theory with an emphasis on algorithms and game theory 2) Artificial Intelligence with an emphasis on robotics and computer vision, and 3) Systems with an emphasis on security.
   The tenure track position in Natural Language Processing is available at the Assistant Professor level.  Here we seek candidates able to collaborate closely with the departments of Linguistics and Psychology in The Institute for Computational and Experimental Study of Language (ICESL). The applicant should have a strong background in Natural Language Processing, preferably in the area of Syntax and Semantics.
   Our school is highly supportive of junior faculty, providing both formal and informal mentoring. Many of our faculty are involved in interdisciplinary research, working closely with other departments including statistics/mathematics, linguistics, electrical and industrial engineering, biology, physics, and nursing, as well as new "green" initiatives.  Amherst, a historic New England town, is the center of a vibrant and culturally rich area that includes four other colleges. For more information about the school, visit http://www.cs.umass.edu/.

   To apply, please send a cover letter indicating the position of interest:  R45857 (theory), R45859 (artificial intelligence), R45860 (systems), or R45858 (natural language processing); a curriculum vita; a research statement; a statement of teaching interests; and names and contact information for at least three references.  Electronic submission of application materials in PDF format is preferred.  Send to facrec at cs.umass.edu.  Alternatively, paper copies of application materials may be sent to:  Chair of Faculty Recruiting, School of Computer Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA 01003.

    We will begin to review applications on December 2, 2013 and will continue until the positions are filled.  Rank and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.   Inquiries and requests for more information can be sent to: facrec at cs.umass.edu.

The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.  Women and members of minority groups are encouraged to apply. The University seeks to increase the diversity of its professoriate, workforce and undergraduate and graduate student populations because broad diversity is critical to achieving the University's mission of excellence in education, research, educational access and service in an increasingly diverse globalized society. Therefore, in holistically assessing many qualifications of each applicant of any race or gender we would factor favorably an individual’s record of conduct that includes students and colleagues with broadly diverse perspectives, experiences and backgrounds in educational, research or other work activities. Among other qualifications, we would also factor favorably experience overcoming or helping others overcome barriers to an academic career or degree.