[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] IAS 2014 Tutorial on Point Cloud Library

Matteo Munaro matteo.munaro at dei.unipd.it
Thu Apr 3 02:41:45 PDT 2014

Call for Participation - IAS 2014 Tutorial on Point Cloud Library
Apologies for multiple copies

Tutorial on Point Cloud Library
http://www.pointclouds.org/media/ias2014.html

Where:
13th Intelligent Autonomous Systems (IAS-13) conference, Padova, Italy

When:
July 15, 2014

------------
Organizers:
------------
- Matteo Munaro, University of Padova
- Radu Bogdan Rusu, Open Perception Inc.

-------------------
Short description:
-------------------
The number of research initiatives that employ 3D point cloud
processing has increased substantially since the introduction of
affordable off-the-shelf 3D cameras, such as the Microsoft Kinect.
This is shown, among other things, by the number of workshops on
related topics in the fields of robotics and computer vision. The
proposed tutorial will equip researchers, developers and R&D engineers
with the tools necessary to start realizing new and interesting ideas,
based on the Point Cloud Library (PCL), which builds on its large set
of tools and state-of-the-art algorithms to allow advanced 3D
processing. For this, we introduce the available methods, present
existing systems realized using the framework, as well as give advice
on how to use it in new projects. The goal is to provide an overview
of standard solutions to common 3D processing problems and to present
modules such as filtering, feature estimation, segmentation,
registration, object recognition, surface reconstruction and people
detection. Furthermore, we will emphasize hot topics in 3D processing,
how they can be attacked using PCL and show this in live
demonstrations. The invited speakers will talk about the features in
PCL, present how they use it in their work, and will be available to
answer spontaneous questions of the participants during the sessions
and in separate conversations during the breaks. This way, we hope to
provide an extensive walkthrough through the field of 3D point cloud
processing and show PCL’s strengths in prototyping and building
solutions for complicated perception problems.

Please visit http://www.pointclouds.org/media/ias2014.html for more
information and an updated schedule.

We are looking forward to meeting you at IAS 2014.

Very best,
Matteo Munaro

Matteo MUNARO

PhD Candidate
Intelligent and Autonomous Systems Lab (IAS-Lab)
Department of Information Engineering (DEI)
Faculty of Engineering, The University of Padua
Via Ognissanti 72, I-35131 Padova, Italy

email: munaro at dei.unipd.it
phone: +390498277831