[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Tutorial: Compliant Control for Physical Human-Robot Interaction

Andrea Calanca andrea.calanca at univr.it
Thu Apr 17 02:53:39 PDT 2014

Compliant Control for Physical Human-Robot Interaction

with application to exoskeletons, active orthoses, wearable robots and
haptics

Tutorial at the 13th International Conference on Intelligent Autonomous
Systems (IAS-13)

Tutorial Info:

Website: http://metropolis.sci.univr.it/altair/ias13tutorial/
When: 18 July 2014, Morning Session (10:00-13:00)
Where: Padova (Italy), Congress Centre
Registration: http://www.ias-13.org/nrf-ias-2014-registration/

Abstract: There is an increasing interest for robots with human like
abilities such as manipulating objects, interacting with other humans or
walking on rough terrains. Compliant control is a widely used tool that
enables such advanced features. This tutorial is for engineers who are
interested in the design and/or control of a compliant device, to make them
aware of the advantages and limitations of different approaches, e.g. the
basic option of having, or not having, physical compliance.

Compliant control of stiff joints has a long history in robotics, dating
back to the middle of the past century. On the other hand compliant control
of elastic joints (e.g. series elastic actuators) came forth in the last
two decades. Related research is often focused on simpler setups (a single
d.o.f.) and sometimes uses novel terminology (e.g. virtual stiffness,
equilibrium controlled stiffness, programmable springs), having a similar
meaning of some already established concepts in robotics. In this tutorial
we draw a link between new and old concepts and review emerging research on
elastic and flexible joints. To this aim we will review and compare past
approaches and relative mathematics on a common and simplified scenario. We
clarify the significance and the role of key concepts such as mechanical
compliance, backdrivability and force control. Then for each scheme we
explain intuitive meaning and report issues acquired across literature.

In the second part of the tutorial we focus on the elastic joint case,
which is not yet a mature topic. We show that compliance allows to
stabilize force control and that it is helpful when dealing with
environment uncertainty. Then we focus on advanced force control methods to
provide predictable force control performance. We show how these algorithms
perform on real-world setups and we share our c++ control library.

Also we present novel insight related to the coupled-stability and
passivity of impedance controlled series elastic actuators. In particular,
we explain existing limitations when we desire a stiffness that is higher
than the physical one and we show how to overcome the issue. Also, we
discuss the rendering of linear viscoelastic impedance models.

The tutorial will be half day. Slides and lecture notes will be provided to
the registered participants. Look at tutorial website (
http://metropolis.sci.univr.it/altair/ias13tutorial/) for the detailed list
of topics.

Tutorial Organizers:

Andrea Calanca,
University of Verona

Prof. Paolo Fiorini,
University of Verona

Riccardo Muradore, PhD.
University of Verona

Nevio Luigi Tagliamonte, Ph.D.
Università Campus Bio-Medico di Roma

Fabrizio Sergi, Ph.D.
Rice University - MEMS Dept.

Very best,
Andrea Calanca

Andrea Calanca, PhD Student
Altair Robotics Laboratory, University of Verona
Ca' Vignal 2 - Strada Le Grazie 15,  37134 VERONA - Italy