[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Mechatronics Research Engineer at Kiva Systems
PWurman at kivasystems.com
Wed Apr 23 14:28:21 PDT 2014
Mechatronics Research Engineer
Kiva Systems LLC is a wholly owned and rapidly growing subsidiary of Amazon.com. Kiva automates fulfillment centers, dramatically increasing productivity, flexibility, and throughput. Using thousands of autonomous mobile robots and sophisticated control software, the Kiva Mobile Fulfillment System enables extremely fast cycle times with reduced labor requirements, from receiving to picking to shipping.
Kiva’s Research and Advanced Development group is seeking a passionate, self-motivated and experienced electrical/mechanical (mechatronic) engineer to join a small talented team exploring and developing new technologies applied to enhancing Kiva’s existing solution. Specific applications include specialized mobile robots, location awareness sensors, advanced machine vision solutions, power systems and charging.
The ideal candidate will have experience conceptualizing, designing, building, programming and evaluating novel mechatronic, robotic or electro-mechanical systems. Additional experience with embedded systems, sensors, computer vision, robotic manipulation and motion planning, and the design and development of testing and measurement instrumentation is considered a plus. An ability and desire to be hands-on, creating and evaluating proof-of-concept prototypes is essential. This candidate must also have excellent written communication skills and the ability to work well both independently and in team settings. Further, this candidate should be familiar with fast paced environments and the high energy culture that goes with launching innovative new products.
- Develop specifications for new technology directions
- Design and implement physical prototypes of electro-mechanical systems.
- Design and execute field testing of prototypes
- Document research findings in writing and present findings orally
- Support technology transfer to engineering departments
- Advanced degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science or related fields
- At least 5 years of experience performing hands-on electro-mechanical design, mechatronics or robotics.
- Experience with advanced design and analysis tools (e.g. MatLab, SolidWorks)
- Experience with developing/implementing test protocols for evaluating prototypes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Highly motivated, self-directed and willing to dig in and pursue new knowledge areas
(Please note that this is the same group, but a different job than the posting earlier this week for a research scientist in machine learning.)
Please send qualified resumes to jobs at kivasystems.com and put your name and the job title on the subject line.
Pete Wurman, Ph.D. | Chief Technology Officer | Kiva Systems, Inc.
tel: 781-305-5102 | cell: 508-517-9093 | pwurman at kivasystems.com | www.kivasystems.com
More information about the robotics-worldwide