[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Dyson Research Fellows at Imperial College London

Andrew Davison a.davison at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Apr 27 14:06:14 PDT 2014

Dyson Research Fellow (Two Posts)

  Dyson Robotics Laboratory – Department of Computing

  Fixed Salary: £65,000 per annum

  Full time, fixed funded appointments for 4.5 years

  Preferred start date: 1 July 2014

The newly-launched Dyson Robotics Laboratory is an elite research centre
at the Department of Computing, Imperial College London. In close
collaboration with Dyson Ltd. we will focus on forward looking research
in robot vision and perception with the goal of developing the
breakthrough technology which will lie at the heart of new categories of
robotic products for the home and beyond. The laboratory is directed by
Professor Andrew Davison, and will employ a team of post-doctoral
researchers, PhD students, visiting Robotics engineers from Dyson, as
well as support and technical staff. A new lecturer appointment is also
being made to provide additional academic leadership. Members of the
laboratory will collaborate with our existing Robot Vision group and
other teams within Imperial College.

As the laboratory begins its growth towards full strength within two
years, we are looking for post-doctoral researchers to form the backbone
of the new laboratory's research capability, and we have two immediate
vacancies. We are looking for outstanding researchers who have the
ability to take long term ownership and leadership of research projects
within the lab, working closely with the director and other colleagues
in the lab to advance the state of the art in practical robotics driven
by computer vision.

The quality of the researchers we are seeking is reflected by the high
salaries and long-term contracts we are able to offer for these
positions. There will be opportunities to publish and be visible at the
top international venues in robotics and computer vision, and also to
develop working demonstrators of new capability which could feed into
Dyson's R&D operations. The ideal candidate will have a strong
background in modern 3D computer vision, but also a demonstrable
interest and track record in the practical software skills which enable
high performance real-time applications.

Applicants should have a PhD degree (or equivalent) in a directly
relevant area, such as computer vision and/or robotics; an outstanding
record of international publications and demonstrable major skills in
building and engineering working systems in robotics and/or computer
vision, preferable with a real-time emphasis.  Candidates who are close
to completion of a PhD will also be considered*.  You must have
excellent communication skills, the ability and desire to work closely
with both academic and industrial research colleagues, and be able to
organise your own work with minimal supervision and prioritise work to
meet deadlines. All applicants must be fluent in spoken and written
English.

The positions will be based in the Department of Computing at the South
Kensington Campus of Imperial College. The Department of Computing is a
leading department of Computer Science among UK Universities. It has
consistently been awarded the highest research rating (5*) in Research
Assessment Exercises (RAE), and was rated as "Excellent" in the previous
national assessment of teaching quality. For further information on the
Robot Vision Research Group please see
http://www2.imperial.ac.uk/robotvision/

How to apply:

Our preferred method of application is online via our website at:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/employment (please select “job search” then
enter the job title or vacancy reference number EN20140118RLB into
“keywords”).  Please complete and upload an application form as directed.

Applications must include the following:

     A College application form quoting job reference number DYSON 0314
     A full CV
     A 2 page research statement indicating what you see are interesting
research issues relating to the above post and why your expertise is
relevant.

Should you have any queries regarding the application process please
contact Joanne Day by email at: research.officer at doc.ic.ac.uk

Closing Date: 11 May 2014 Midnight BST

Committed to equality and valuing diversity. We are also an Athena SWAN
Silver Award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion and a Two Ticks
Employer.

Prof. Andrew Davison
Professor of Robot Vision
Department of Computing