[robotics-worldwide] [Jobs] Team IHMC is hiring for the DARPA Robotics Challenge and Exoskeleton Projects

Jerry Pratt jpratt at ihmc.us
Mon Aug 4 10:17:20 PDT 2014

The Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC) in sunny Pensacola,
Florida is looking to hire new team members for its DARPA Robotics
Challenge and Robotic Exoskeleton teams.

Team IHMC was the second place finisher in the DARPA Robotics Challenge
Trials, held in December 2014.  We are now working on the final phase of
the DRC, which involves getting the Boston Dynamics Atlas humanoid robot to
perform a series of real world challenges in a disaster response scenario.
We are looking to hire several talented, motivated, and competitive
individuals for a variety of engineering positions to help IHMC continue
its success in this program. Long term, short term, post-doc, and
internship positions are all available.

Starting Date: As soon as possible.

Location: Institute for Human and Machine Cognition (IHMC), Pensacola, FL

Application Deadline: Open until filled.

Specific positions include:

*Humanoid manipulation expert.* Ideal candidate is an expert in robot
manipulation who has experience with real robot hardware. The DARPA
Robotics Challenge requires tackling several interesting manipulation
problems, including picking debris off the ground, turning valves, using
tools, and driving a vehicle.

*Robot localization expert.* Ideal candidate has extensive experience
developing and implementing robot localization algorithms, which use Lidar
sensors. The next phase of the DRC will have long periods of communication
drop outs, meaning the robot must be able to continue operating without
human involvement. A key necessity then becomes good localization.

*DevOps engineer.* Ideal candidate has extensive experience with continuous
integration and continuous delivery of Java software. We are always
improving our continuous integration pipeline and are looking for someone
with the experience and passion to take our software delivery to the next
level. We use various build automation tools including Gradle and most of
the Atlassian tools including Bamboo, Clover, Jira, FishEye, and Stash.

*Humanoid walking and whole body motion control algorithm expert.* Ideal
candidate will have significant experience developing and implementing
algorithms for whole body motion control of legged robots. In this phase of
the DRC, it will be important to perform whole body tasks, such as climbing
a ladder and getting out of a vehicle.

*Software testing expert.* Ideal candidate has extensive experience with
JUnit unit testing, continuous build servers, and other Java testing and
development tools. Team IHMC is test obsessed and is looking for someone
who is just plain test insane.

*Robot control algorithm software developer.* Ideal candidate has extensive
experience developing and implementing various algorithms for controlling
robots, with as strong background in robot kinematics, dynamics, and
control theory.

*Internships.* Internships are available for students that are currently
pursuing an undergraduate or graduate degree in engineering, and looking to
take some time off from classes, or time off between degrees to work on an
exciting project. We require that interns spend a minimum of 4 months at
IHMC, but longer term, e.g. 6 to 9 months, internships are preferable.

For all positions, ideal candidate should have the ability to write clean
code in Java to the highest standards, have an understanding of advanced
object-oriented programming concepts, and have excellent analytical,
problem solving and organizational skills. Applicants must have excellent
communication and documentation skills, be self-motivated and function with
little micro-management, thriving in both a team and individual environment.

To Apply:  Complete the intense, timed, Java challenge at Interview Street
by going to the following link:

http://istest.co/ihmcdrcsummer2014

Please note that the Java programming challenge is difficult and has a time
limit of 16 hours to complete it. The challenge contains some
straightforward robotics problems, as well as some more complex programming
challenges. The challenge cannot be paused, so only begin it when you are
ready and have allotted adequate time and brainpower to complete the
challenge. In addition, you will be asked to upload your resume to the site
during the challenge.

Your score on the Java programming challenge will be factored into your
application and is required to apply for this position. Team IHMC develops
almost exclusively in Java and therefore new team members must be effective
Java programmers. If you are proficient in other programming languages and
wish to learn Java, we recommend reading “Thinking in Java” by Bruce Eckel,
and installing the Eclipse IDE to quickly get up and running. If you want
to practice on programming similar programming challenges, before trying
the IHMC challenge, we suggest getting an account at HackerRank and trying
out some of their warmup challenges at
https://www.hackerrank.com/categories/algorithms/warmup

Updates to this announcement may appear at http://www.ihmc.us/robotjobs.

Information about IHMC’s DRC Team: http://robots.ihmc.us/drc/

Questions: robotjobs at ihmc.us

This job posting will be active until January 1, 2015 or all available
positions are filled.

IHMC is an AA/EEO Employer.