[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] PhD Position "Miniaturized Robotic System for In-situ Repair" at ICVR, ETH Zurich

Ralf Kaestner ralf.kaestner at mavt.ethz.ch
Thu Aug 14 01:00:25 PDT 2014

        |     PhD Position / Research Assistant (100%)     |
        | “Miniaturized Robotic System for In-situ Repair” |

In our research group, we develop a walking Hexapod for in-situ repair
in hazardous environments. Together with an international team, we work
on a so-called “performance predictor”, which allows for virtually
carrying out missions of the robot prior to its deployment in the real
world. For this, the platform’s kinematic and physical behavior needs to
be modeled and analyzed in the context of varying environmental conditions.

We are looking for candidates with an interest in performing cutting
edge research, strong motivation and willingness to learn. An ideal
candidate will have:

* Strong understanding in Robotics or related fields (Mechanical
Engineering, Control, Physics, Applied Mathematics)
* Good programming experience in C++, Python, and Matlab
* Experience in developing software based on ROS
* Experience in rigid body simulations using ODE, Bullet, or other
physics engines
* Experience in 3D visualization using Blender and the Blender Game Engine
* An excellent degree (M. Sc., M. Eng. or equivalent) in Robotics,
Mechanical Engineering, or a related field

Prior experience in robotics, programming, physics simulation, or 3D
visualization is a plus, fluency in English is mandatory (both written
and spoken).

We offer an exciting and stimulating environment within an international
team, and the collaboration with several other research institutes and
companies all over the world, as well as cutting edge research in the
field of Virtual Reality.

For additional information about the position and the tasks, please
contact Dr. Ralf Kaestner <ralf.kaestner at mavt.ethz.ch>.

If you are interested in joining our group, please submit your complete
application (motivation letter, curriculum vitae, school and university
score records, contact details of at least two academic references)
online through the ETH job portal (http://www.jobs.ethz.ch). The
deadline for applications is September 30, 2014. Selection of candidates
will start immediately, so early submissions are encouraged.

Good luck and all the best,

Ralf

Dr. Ralf Kaestner -- Post-doctoral Research Assistant

Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zuerich (ETH Zuerich)
Innovation Center Virtual Reality (ICVR) -- http://www.icvr.ethz.ch
LEE L 201 -- Leonhardstrasse 21 -- 8092 Zuerich, Switzerland

Contact: +41 44 632 06 83 -- ralf.kaestner at mavt.ethz.ch