[robotics-worldwide] [Jobs] PhD Candidature in Robotics (CAS-UTS)

Nathan Kirchner nathankirchner at gmail.com
Fri Aug 22 16:37:22 PDT 2014

One remaining PhD Candidature Position is available with the Centre for
Autonomous Systems at the University of Technology, Sydney (UTS).

The Centre for Autonomous Systems (CAS) has recently entered into an
industry linked innovation focused research programme. Our focus is
bringing "Robotics Thinking to Transport Environments", and our research
network has enabled us to explore this focus on-site at several of
Australia's largest and busiest train stations. This industry link has
enabled us to conduct our HRI sensing and perception research at large
scale and places its impact in real world conditions.

We are currently seeking highly motivated researchers to contribute to the
research sub-themes of:

- Person Awareness: This sub-theme focuses on person detection, tracking
through occlusions and ambiguities, trajectory prediction, cue recognition,
machine learning, and large scale behaviour pattern recognition and
identification over large temporal spaces in transport environments such as
railway stations.

- Train awareness: This sub-theme focuses on train detection and train
features detection such as arrival/departure, doors opening/closing, train
behavioural indicators of malfunction, etc. from an off-board sensing
system, machine learning, and large scale behaviour pattern recognition and
identification over large temporal spaces in transport environments such as
railway stations.

These sub-theme openings relate to robotics, RGBD image processing and
analysis, tracking, feature based ambiguity resolution, data fusion from
multiple sensing systems, Gaussian processes, machine learning, and Human
Robot/Machine Interaction (HRI / HMI), along with mechatronics and systems
design, and integration.

The perspective researchers will work with an interdisciplinary team
consisting of researchers from the CAS (UTS), Institute of Sustainable
Futures (UTS), the Transport Centre (UTS), and from a large multi-national
company in the Transport sector.

Applicants:

- Must be intending to pursue a PhD degree in Robotics with CAS UTS

- Must be self-motivated, have strong problem-solving, writing, programming
(C/C++), interpersonal, and analytical skills.

- Must be willing to travel nationally and international for research site
visits and to attend conferences.

- Should have experience in one or more of the topics mentioned above as
relevant to these opening.

- Demonstrating a previous research track record in the above mention
topics will be received favourably.

Remunerations will be at, or, above standard Post Graduate Award rates
commensurate with qualifications and experience.

International applications will be considered, and strong applicants may be
eligible for study fee waivers in addition to the above stipend.

A mechanism is available to enable prospective applicants to make an
immediate start.

Qualified candidates are invited to express their interests via email with
a detailed CV (including objective, education background, experiences,

transcripts, representative publications, and skills) to:

Dr Nathan Kirchner

Research Principle RobotAssist - Centre for Autonomous Systems

Senior Lecturer - Faculty of Engineering and I.T.

University of Technology, Sydney

nathan.kirchner at uts.edu.au