[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Open Letter to the HRI Community, 10th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Human-Robot Interaction (HRI 2015), March 2-5, 2015, Portland, Oregon

Masahiro Shiomi m-shiomi at atr.jp
Fri Aug 29 01:27:53 PDT 2014

Apologies for cross-posting

  _____

Dear Human-Robot Interaction (HRI) Community,

We are delighted to announce the tenth annual HRI Conference in 2015. With
your contributions and commitment, HRI has become an established, top-tier
venue for publishing and following state-of-the-art research in human-robot
interaction. According to Google Scholar Metrics [1], HRI has become the
venue with the 8th highest impact among human-computer interaction (HCI)
conferences and journals and 13th in robotics. To ensure and enhance the
ongoing success of the conference, we are planning a number of changes to
the peer-review process for HRI 2015 that we would like to share with you.

Establishing Contribution-Specific Review Criteria

The HRI community is made up of a highly diverse community of researchers
that includes computer scientists, engineers, social scientists, designers,
etc. Our collective body of knowledge incorporates different types of
contributions entailing new technologies, designs, methods, and knowledge.
To acknowledge and encourage this diversity in the peer-review process, we
are establishing different sets of review criteria for different types of
contributions. For instance, contributions that entail new technologies that
enable new forms of interaction will be evaluated against review criteria
developed for technological work in HRI (algorithms, computational methods,
robot systems). We have identified five contribution types that represent
HRI research from which authors will be asked to choose:

     1. Studies of Human-Robot Interaction (i.e., studies of interaction
with prototype or deployed robot systems)

     2. Enabling Technologies (i.e., technologies that facilitate new forms
of interaction)

     3. Enabling Designs (i.e., designs that promote new forms of
interaction)

     4. Enabling Methods (i.e., methods that make new forms of interaction
or HRI research possible)

     5. Enabling Knowledge (i.e., knowledge that informs future HRI design
or HRI research)

More information on the different contributions types can be found at:

http://humanrobotinteraction.org/2015/themes/

Creating Contribution-Specific Program Subcommittees

Five subcommittees have been created to handle the review process. Each
subcommittee will follow specific review criteria appropriate for the
subcommittee focus in order to make recommendations that the entire program
committee will evaluate and finalize. Each subcommittee is led by a senior
researcher and a subcommittee of members with leadership and expertise on
the type contribution. The subcommittee chairs are:

     1. Takayuki Kanda, ATR, Japan for Studies of Human-Robot Interaction

     2. Nicholas Roy, MIT, USA for Enabling Technologies

     3. Jodi Forlizzi, CMU, USA for Enabling Designs

     4. Greg Trafton, NRL, USA for Enabling Methods

     5. Manfred Tscheligi, University of Salzburg & AIT, Austria for
Enabling Knowledge

The subcommittee descriptions, including the list of PC members in each
subcommittee, can be found at
http://humanrobotinteraction.org/2015/organization/program-committee/

Double-Blind Reviews

HRI has traditionally followed a single-blind review process, but recent
research has shown strong evidence for the numerous benefits of a
double-blind review systems for improving research integrity and diversity
[2,3]. The HRI 2015 review process will use a double-blind system.

More information on how to prepare double-blind submissions for HRI 2015 is
available at
http://humanrobotinteraction.org/2015/authors/full-papers/guidelines-for-ano
nymizing-submissions/

We hope that these changes will enable the HRI conference to attract a
diverse set of high-quality contributions, contributing to the continuing
success of the conference and the growth of our community. We welcome and
appreciate feedback, comments, and questions from the HRI community on these
improvements, so please feel free to contact us at
pc-chairs-hri2015 at humanrobotinteraction.org.

Best wishes,

HRI 2015 Program Chairs

Bilge Mutlu & Leila Takayama