[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CFP: ICRA'15 Full-day WS 'Robotics & Automation Technologies for Humanitarian Applications: Where we are & Where we can be'

Raj Madhavan madhavan.ieeeras at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 16:51:12 PST 2014

CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS
ICRA'15 Full-day WS:***Robotics & Automation Technologies for
Humanitarian Applications: Where we are & Where we can be*
http://www.isr.uc.pt/RATHA2015/ & http://icra2015.org/

Organizers:
Raj Madhavan (Univ. of Maryland, College Park, USA & IEEE RAS-SIGHT)
<raj.madhavan at ieee.org>
Edson Prestes (Federal Univ. of Rio Grande do Sul (UFRGS), Brazil)
<prestes at inf.ufrgs.br>
Lino Marques (Univ. of Coimbra, Portugal) <lino at isr.uc.pt>

Robotics & Automation (R&A) technologies have the potential to transform
and positively impact the lives of several people around the globe by
addressing some of the world's toughest and unsolved challenges and
elevating the quality of life for humanity. Many of the underlying
theoretical frameworks of existing R&A technologies are at a sufficient
level of maturity and are widely accepted by the academic community
after having undergone the scientific rigor and peer reviews that
accompany such works. Yet, several of these frameworks, when subjected
to the demands of deployment in practical situations, reveal their
brittleness and lack of robustness (e.g. Deepwater Horizon oil spill in
the Gulf of Mexico and the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster). A
fundamental reason behind such failures is that there exists a chasm
between technological innovators and humanitarian field workers:
Innovators rarely know what technological tools humanitarian workers
in-the-trenches need; and only humanitarian field workers know what
innovations are truly sustainable. Developing sustainable tools,
methodologies, and robotic hardware platforms with useful sensor suites,
and identifying gaps and initiating a dialog between different
stakeholders will help alleviating suffering and will increase the
effectiveness and/or efficiency of humanitarian workers on the ground.

In this workshop, we propose to bring together researchers,
practitioners, humanitarian relief workers, responders, analysts from
the field and humanitarian aid agencies, and foundations from several
countries to understand the current and future role R&A technologies
play in alleviating suffering of humanity in times of need. The proposed
workshop will allow for the discussion and identification of the use of
R&A technologies applied to humanitarian efforts and gaps in dealing
with natural calamities and man-made disasters. Emphasis will be placed
on important factors that need to be taken into consideration such as
environmental, cultural, structural, political and socio-economic and
resource constraints while developing R&A solutions that can be
developed, deployed, and sustained.

The workshop will, thus, consist of presentations of research,
first-hand experiences and field knowledge, both as invited and regular
talks addressing the monitoring (e.g. early warning preventative
systems) and/or the support of post-disaster and emergency relief
operations (e.g., search and rescue) of several humanitarian areas from
different ends of the technological spectrum and end-users, including
but not limited to:
- Avalanches, landslides, earthquakes, and volcano eruptions
- Floods and tsunamis
- Wind storms (hurricanes, tornadoes)
- Mining and mineral disasters
- Pollution monitoring and cleaning (e.g. oil spills, inland water
monitoring, ...)
- Chemical emergencies from industrial accidents
- Nuclear incidents and similar cleanup efforts of contaminated sites
- Structural collapse (e.g. bridge and dam failures)
- Fires (wild and urban)
- Demining (landmine detection and clearance)

If you're working in the above areas and if the goals of the WS are of
interest to you, we would love to hear from you! We are also soliciting
presentations from NGOs, regulatory and funding agencies.

Interested? Please send us a 2-3 page (max.) writeup of your background
and experience and selected results in fielded domains. In addition,
include a separate section in your writeup on how your
participation/presentation would benefit the WS. Note that you're not
required to write a paper but  your presentation will be archived for
the benefit of the community on the WS website at
http://www.isr.uc.pt/RATHA2015/.

Depending on the level of interest, selected presenters would be invited
to write an article for a special issue journal reporting on their
experiences and lessons learnt during field deployments. Along with your
writeup, let us know if you would be interested in submitting an article
to such a special issue.

IMPORTANT DATES
- Deadline for submission: Jan. 22, 2015
- Notification of Acceptance: Feb. 27, 2015
- WS Date: May 26th or May 30th, 2015 (to-be-confirmed)