[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Multiple postdoc openings at USC RESL (http://robotics.usc.edu/resl)

Gi Hyun Lim hhmetal at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 14:48:51 PST 2014

Dear Professor Gaurav S. Sukhatme,

I have received your post from robotics-worldwide mailing list that there
are several postdoc
openings at the USC Robotic Embedded Systems Laboratory (RESL). I’d like to
contribute on
interactive perception, object recognition and planning under uncertainty.
Especially, I am
interested in connecting perception and semantics.

My on-going research for the RACE project which will be completed the next
January is learning in
open-ended environments. Recently, I developed an agglomerative incremental
clustering method,
which is for online unsupervised formation of perceptual hierarchies.
Nearest-neighbour clustering is
the technique used for clustering perceptual elements in all levels of the
hierarchy. This technique
has the advantage of not needing to pre-define the number of clusters.
Another advantage is that it
does not require the perceptual elements to be points in a Cartesian space.
These perceptual
hierarchies can be seen as an intermediate level representation that helps
to bridge the gap between
perceptual and semantic memories. As a preliminary result, a paper titled
“Learning Perceptual
Hierarchies for Open-Ended Object Conceptualization from Experiences” was
submitted to ICRA
2015. I also developed a perceptual memory system to extend previous
semantic RACE
implementation architecture as a dual memory system. The dual memory system
leads to a layered
and de-centralized architecture. The perceptual memory is implemented using
a lightweight
NoSQL database to meet the requirements of perceptual modules. These
primarily process numeric
information organized in arrays/matrices, possibly grouped in sets.
Moreover, to ensure timely
reaction to events in the environment, perception modules run continuously
at the frame rate of the
used sensors. I presented the paper titled "A perceptual memory system for
grounding semantic
representations in intelligent service robots" at IROS 2014. These works
have been implemented
and demonstrated on a real PR2 robot.

These achievements and current research are certain to give both
creativeness and motivation to
your research group.

Attached please find a single document containing my curriculum vitae, list
of publications, names
of three references with contact information.

FYI, I’m a Postdoc at the University of Aveiro, continuing my researches.
It is planned until the
end of March 2013. I’m looking forward hearing from you.

Yours faithfully,

Gi Hyun Lim