[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 2nd CFP CARs at AAMAS (Culturally-Aware Robotic and Agent Systems)

Matthias Rehm matthias at create.aau.dk
Tue Feb 4 05:40:24 PST 2014

CARs at AAMAS: Workshop on Culture Aware Robotics (and Agent Systems) at AAMAS, Paris, 06 May 2014
http://cars.e-hci.org/?page_id=2

Culture is not the first aspect that comes to mind when discussing interactions with agent-based systems (be they virtual or robotic). But our cultural upbringing does to a large degree influence our patterns of behavior and interpretation. Thus, culture is present in the development of agent-based systems right from the start,
unconsciously influencing how systems are designed, what we envision with them to do, and how they are programmed to interact with the user. Thus, culture significantly shapes how we interact with each other and with other social entities such as robots and agents, and a better understanding of cultural differences and commonalities will have significant scientific, design, and societal implications. This workshop aims at improving awareness on the topic and facilitates communication among researchers from different cultures and those interested in culture as a factor in interacting with robots and agents. The scientific focus of the activity is primarily directed to culturally-aware robotics but it is our conviction that many approaches from the agent community are relevant in this field. Thus we also encourage submissions that are not primarily targeting robotics systems.

Organizers
Matthias Rehm, Aalborg University, Denmark
Maja Mataric, University of Southern California, USA
Bilge Mutlu, University of Wisconsin–Madison, USA
Tatsuya Nomura, Ryukoku University, Japan

Important Dates
28 February 2014: Submission deadline
10 March 2014: Acceptance notification
15 March 2014: Camera-ready copy for Workshop proceedings
06 May 2014: Workshop at AAMAS
07-08 May 2014: AAMAS conference

Submission Instructions
We encourage papers from 4 up to 6 pages following the AAMAS 2014 paper guidelines, which can be found at
http://aamas2014.lip6.fr/submissions.php. Please submit your paper through Easychair, using the following link:
https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=carsaamas2014

Workshop Proceedings
Proceedings will be published electronically by AAU Press with  ISBN/ISSN. Additionally, it is planned to produce a book on Culture Aware Robotics for which contributors to the workshop are invited to submit revised versions of their contributions (deadline by the end of 2014).

Program Committee
Ruth Aylett, Heriot Watt University Edinburgh, UK
Christoph Bartneck, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
Emmanuel Blanchard, McGill University, Canada
Birgit Endrass, Augsburg University, Germany
Kerstin Fischer, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
Kristiina Jokinen, University of Helsinki, Finland
Yoshinori Kuno, Saitama University, Japan
Karl F. MacDorman, Indiana University, USA
Toyoaki Nishida, Kyoto University, Japan
Majd Sakr, Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar, Qatar
Gabriele Trovato, Waseda University, Japan

Contact: matthias at create.aau.dk

--
Dr. Matthias Rehm, Associate Professor
Department of Architecture, Design, and Media Technology

Phone: +45 9940 8789
Fax:   +45 9940 9788
Email: matthias at create.aau.dk
http://tinyurl.com/aau-mrehm