[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CfV: ICSR 2014 Workshop on Robots and Art -­ Misbehaving Machines

Damith herath damithc at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 01:22:25 PDT 2014

*******************
CALL FOR VIDEOS
*******************

This is an invitation to contribute to the ICSR workshop ŒRobots and Art ¡©
Misbehaving Machines©ö to be held on 27. October 2014 in conjunction with
the Fifth International Conference on Social Robotics (ICSR2014 -
http://icsr2014.org/) in Sydney, Australia.

Website: http://roboticart.org

----------------

Important Dates

1. September 2014: Video submissions due
14. September 2014: Notification of acceptance
13. October 2014: Final version ready
27. October 2014: Full-day workshop

----------------

Organisers

Christian Kroos, School of Design and Art, Curtin University, Perth, AUS
Damith Herath, Robological, Sydney, AUS

----------------

About the Workshop

In everyday life, we constantly encounter situations in which machines do
not fulfil their designated function or do not meet our expectations. It
is foreseeable that with the rise of social robots, real or perceived
misbehaviour will be commonplace until technology and algorithms mature
sufficiently. In research, however, failures and malfunctions are not
necessarily an unfortunate course of events. Misbehaving robots, the
hypothesis of the workshop, can sometimes teach us more about social
interactions than their successful counterparts. While science and
engineering traditionally aim at minimising the occurrence of
dysfunctional behaviour in machines, the arts embraced the concept of
creative failure from the beginning of modernity: errors were seen as an
important source of new ideas.

The multidisciplinary workshop will bring robotic art and social robotics
together. Since arguably all artistic activity is social in essence, it
(almost) suggested itself to confront robotic art (and art employing
machines in general) with the scientific and engineering side.  In
particular, with respect to the conference theme, we look forward to
contributions that highlight the question of what actually constitutes
Œsocial intelligence©ö in robots by putting a spotlight on the situations
where it is most fundamentally lacking.

The workshop is directed towards people active in any of the
aforementioned domains and will include a number of distinguished speakers
from both academia and the arts. These talks will be interspersed with a
number of video documentations of robotic/art projects, for which this
call is.

----------------

Submissions

Engineers and scientists are encouraged to report on robots that did not
behave according to expectations in the interaction with humans and, if
possible, how the resulting behaviour was perceived and judged by the
users.
For artists, we welcome any contribution where unexpected behaviour of a
machine was or became an essential part of the work of art.

We invite VIDEO submissions only. Videos should not exceed six minutes
including titles and credits. The video must be accompanied by an
abstract. All submitted material will undergo peer review by the program
committee and external experts as appropriate. The author(s) of an
accepted video will be given the opportunity to introduce the video with a
five minutes presentation at the workshop; the content of the video,
however, should be self-contained and self-explanatory.
Please visit the workshop website for more information:
http://roboticart.org/

To submit your video, please upload it to either YouTube or Vimeo and send
the link (private or password protected if appropriate) along with the
abstract to info at roboticart.org.