[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Summer School on Screw-Theory Based Methods in Robotics 2014 - Second Announcement

Marco Carricato marco.carricato at unibo.it
Wed Jun 18 01:33:25 PDT 2014

Dear colleagues,

We are renewing our invitation for participants in

The Fifth International Summer School on Screw-Theory Based Methods in
Robotics

3 -- 11 September 2014

University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy

http://summerscrews2014.ing.unibo.it
http://www.summerscrews.org

In the short time since our first call, we have received many
registrations. A limited number of places is still available, so we urge
those who wish to participate to register without delay. The deadline is
June 30, 2014.

For its fifth edition, our summer school on screw theory comes to the
world's oldest university: Bologna's Alma Mater Studiorum.
The enthusiastic feedback from each of the first four very successful
Summer Screws events (in Genoa, Italy, in Shanghai, China, again in
Genoa, and in Florianopolis, Brazil) proves that this initiative
continues to provide a service that the robotics community values.

Summer Screws 2014 will gather six experts in the robotics applications
of screw theory and up to 40 participants at the University of Bologna
from 3 to 11 September.
The School will teach attendees how to apply existing methods and
empower them to develop new ones in their own research.
The basic theoretical notions will be introduced in a rigorous manner,
with emphasis on examples, applications, and exercises.

The main topics will be:

1. Basic vector-space properties of twists and wrenches: physical
interpretation of the linear operations; linear dependence and
independence, subspaces; bases and coordinates. (Lecturer: Dimiter
Zlatanov)

2. Scalar products, dual spaces, reciprocity. Constraint and freedom in
mechanisms. Constraint analysis, type synthesis of single-loop
mechanisms, type synthesis of parallel manipulators. (Lecturer: Xianwen
Kong)

3. Velocity and singularity analysis of parallel and
interconnected-chain mechanisms. Derivation of input-output velocity
equations and singularity conditions. (Lecturers: Matteo Zoppi and
Dimiter Zlatanov)

4. Mappings between screw spaces, stiffness and inertia. Structure of
robot compliance. Eigenvalue problems and eigenscrews. Synthesis with
springs. (Lecturer: Harvey Lipkin)

5. 6D formulation of the dynamics of individual rigid bodies and
rigid-body systems. Equations of motion. Dynamics algorithms. (Lecturer:
Roy Featherstone)

6. Basic Lie-group theory, matrix representations of the group of
rigid-body displacements. Lie algebras as related to screw theory. The
exponential map and its applications in modern robotics. (Lecturer: Jon
Selig)

Marco Carricato will be this year's invited lecturer, with a talk about
persistent screw systems.

Up to 40 registrations are accepted at the price of 300 Euro, no later
than 30 June, 2014.
For details, see the registration page,
http://summerscrews2014.ing.unibo.it/registration.html, of the
University of Bologna's Summer Screws site.

Summer Screws 2014 is organized by the Group of Robotics and Articular
Biomechanics (GRAB), at the Department of Industrial Engineering of the
University of Bologna, Italy, and the Laboratory of Design and
Measurement for Automation and Robotics (PMAR), at the Department of
Mechanical, Energy, Industrial, and Transport Engineering of the
University of Genoa, Italy.
It is endorsed by IFToMM, the Robotics and Automation Society of the
IEEE, the Italian Robotics and Automation Association (SIRI), the
Bologna Society of Engineers, and the City of Bologna.
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of IMA Industries, the
Department of Industrial Engineering and the School of Engineering and
Architecture of the University of Bologna, as well as of the IFToMM
Young Delegates Program.

For more information visit the School's web pages:

http://summerscrews2014.ing.unibo.it
http://www.summerscrews.org

Sincerely yours,

Dimiter Zlatanov, Marco Carricato, Vincenzo Parenti-Castelli
Matteo Zoppi, and Rezia Molfino