[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Participation - ICAPS Workshop on Planning and Robotics (PlanRob 2014)

AndreA Orlandini andrea.orlandini at istc.cnr.it
Thu Jun 19 05:33:48 PDT 2014

         [Apologies for multiple copies of this announcement]

                                    ** CALL FOR PARTICIPATION **

                      2nd ICAPS Workshop on Planning and Robotics
       (PlanRob,2014)

http://icaps14.icaps-conference.org/workshops_tutorials/planrob.html
<http://icaps14.icaps-conference.org/workshops_tutorials/planrob.html>

                         Portsmouth, U.S.A., June 22 and 23, 2014

The PlanRob workshop aims at constituting a stable, long-term
establishment of a forum on relevant topics concerned with the
interactions between Robotics and P&S communities presenting a
stimulating environment where researchers could discuss about the
opportunities and challenges for P&S when applied to Robotics.

The first edition of the PlanRob workshop
(http://icaps13.icaps-conference.org/workshops/planrob
<http://icaps13.icaps-conference.org/workshops/planrob>) has gathered a
very positive feedback and a major follow up was the organization of the
ICAPS 2014 Robotics Track
(http://icaps14.icaps-conference.org/specialtracks/robotics.html
<http://icaps14.icaps-conference.org/specialtracks/robotics.html>)
chaired by Felix Ingrand (LAAS-CNRS) and Leslie Kaelbling (MIT). This
second edition of the PlanRob workshop has been proposed in synergy with
this track to further enforce the original goal and to maintain a more
informal forum where also more preliminary/visionary work can be
discussed as well as more direct and open interactions/discussions may
find the right place.

In our opinion, PlanRob'14 succeeded in achieving these objectives.
Indeed, 20 papers have been accepted for oral presentation covering many
relevant topics such as planning and execution for robots, high-level
task planning, task and motion planning, multi-robot systems, goal
reasoning and knowledge representation, etc. This seems to us a really
good result for the workshop and, overall, it confirms a good feedback
from the ICAPS community (but not only) on PlanRob topics.

The PlanRob'14 program is now available
here:http://icaps14.icaps-conference.org/workshops_tutorials/planrob.html <http://icaps14.icaps-conference.org/workshops_tutorials/planrob.html>

And the PlanRob 2014 proceedings can be downloaded here:
http://icaps14.icaps-conference.org/proceedings/planrob/PlanRob2014_Proceedings.pdf
<http://icaps14.icaps-conference.org/proceedings/planrob/PlanRob2014_Proceedings.pdf>

Finally, two notable researchers have accepted our invitation to
complete an already rich and interesting program: Brian Williams and
Leslie Kaelbling from the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence
Laboratory at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). (see
below for further info).

Hope to see you in Portsmouth.

Kind regards,

The PlanRob Chairs
Alberto and AndreA

===

Leslie P. Kaelbling

Keynote Title: Robots that Believe

The fields of AI and robotics have made great improvements in many
individual
subfields, including in motion planning, symbolic planning, probabilistic
reasoning, perception, and learning.  Our goal is to develop an integrated
approach to solving very large problems that are hopelessly intractable to
solve optimally.  We make a number of approximations during planning,
including serializing subtasks, factoring distributions, and determinizing
stochastic dynamics, but regain robustness and effectiveness through a
continuous state-estimation and replanning process.  This approach is
demonstrated in three robotic domains, each of which integrates perception,
estimation, planning, and manipulation.

===

Brian Williams

Keynote Title: To Be Announced

AndreA Orlandini PhD

  National Research Council of Italy
  Institute for Cognitive Science and Technology
  Phone:  +39-06-44595-223      E-mail: andrea.orlandini at istc.cnr.it
  Fax:    +39-06-44595-243      Url: http://www.istc.cnr.it/group/pst