[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] 2nd call for entries - Deadline Extended - Kinect Autonomous Mobile Robot Navigation Contest at IROS 2014

Reed Hedges Reed.Hedges at Adept.com
Wed May 7 15:00:46 PDT 2014

Greetings,

We are now accepting applications to enter the 2014 Kinect Autonomous Mobile Robot Navigation Contest<http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/events/robotnavigationcontest/info.aspx>, to be held at IROS 2014 in Chicago, USA on September 18, 2014 (just after close of the exhibition).

The submission entry deadline has been extended to the end of Sunday, June 15th (after ICRA).

Because we have limited time and space for the contest, we will pick the top submission entries to compete at IROS in September so get your entries in while you can. We encourage anyone interested to submit an entry application, or inquire with any questions you have: email to roboinfo at microsoft.com<mailto:roboinfo at microsoft.com>.

If there is some reason you want to enter but cannot, please also let us know at roboinfo at microsoft.com<mailto:roboinfo at microsoft.com>.

For details and complete rules about the contest, see http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/events/robotnavigationcontest/info.aspx

This contest will show off the state of the art of autonomous navigation in realistic and dynamic unstructured environments. Autonomous navigation in static and controlled environments is a mostly solved problem, however, in this contest, the environment will be populated with realistic items that are known to challenge typical navigation sensors and systems, such as narrow chair and table legs and uneven surfaces. It will also feature moving people and furniture. There may be other surprises as well. Successful navigation will require state of the art mapping and autonomous navigation using a real robot and sensors.

Winners will be chosen based on time and accuracy of navigation to specific points within the contest environment, and prizes awarded to winning contestants (if eligible).

The grand prize is $ 5,000 USD and one Microsoft Kinect One for Windows Developer Kit.

Nine second prizes, a Microsoft Kinect One for Windows Developer Kit, will also be awarded.

See the contest details and official rules for more information on the application process, the prizes and eligibility.

We hope you will consider entering!

Thank You!
Adept MobileRobots and Microsoft