[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] PhD position in Robotics at AVR-ICube, Strasbourg, France
pierre.renaud at insa-strasbourg.fr
Mon May 19 02:21:45 PDT 2014
Location: AVR Research group, ICube Lab at IRCAD, Strasbourg, France.
PhD supervisor: Isabelle Charpentier (CNRS Researcher)
A PhD position is available at the AVR Research group, ICube lab, Strasbourg France. Candidates with research interest in Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Numerical analysis are encouraged to apply. The subject of the PhD will be "Numerical tools for mechanism design".
** Context **
The design constraints in the medical and surgical fields lead to the use of unusual robotic architectures, such as parallel mechanisms, with interesting workspace/size ratios. For such architectures, several properties such as the workspace, the assembly modes, the existence of singularities have to be assessed.
Continuation methods are proposed in the literature for both the count of the assembly modes and the determination of the workspace boundaries. The AVR team aims to develop its own expertise to propose a general continuation approach for the analysis of mechanism properties, the implementation in the Diamant software devoted to the solution of nonlinear parametric problems, and the validation of the proposed methods. The PhD objectives are:
• to compile former developments on continuation and propose a global approach for the analysis of mechanisms ;
• to develop an efficient numerical tool, adapted to the robotics community ;
• to introduce a analysis method that integrates manufacturing uncertainties ;
• to validate the numerical tool on the parallel architectures developed in the AVR team for interventional radiology.
** Candidate's profile **
- MSc or equivalent in Robotics, Mechanical Engineering, or Applied Mathematics
- Excellent academic track record
- Pronounced taste for numerical simulation
- Excellent analytical skills & Critical thinking
** Funding **
• Research allocation, duration 3 years.
** Location **
• AVR lab at Ircad, Strasbourg, France
For further details and to apply please send a Curriculum Vitae and Master results to Isabelle Charpentier (isabellecharpentier at hotmail.com ).
More information about the robotics-worldwide