[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Robotics and Computer Vision R&D, Shrewsbury, UK

Ben Davis ben at gobotix.co.uk
Sat Nov 22 02:38:27 PST 2014

GOBOTiX Ltd is a recent start-up company with offices located in
Shrewsbury, Shropshire, UK.

We are seeking 2 new employees to join our recent start-up company, only
18 months old. We are recruiting for both Graduate and Senior roles as
we continue to expand. The senior role requires existing knowledge and
experience in programming and applying Computer Vision techniques and
development of algorithms. Whilst the graduate role requires less
experience, the role requires a high degree of determination and energy
to develop their skills in new areas of technology. Experience with
small robotic platforms or embedded systems, as well as good programming
and operating system skills, would be advantageous. An appetite to
further ones knowledge with interests in Machine Learning / Computer
Vision / Image Processing is required. A PhD, or similar industrial
experience, would be ideal for the more senior roles. The requirement to
travel within the UK for field trials for short periods of time will be
likely.

Our employees have pioneered a wide range of robotic platforms and
systems in their careers to date. They have led projects and designed
Software and Hardware systems specifically for the Autonomous Vehicles
and Robotics domains. The team is well versed in tackling tough projects
since robotic vehicles for on-road use, and underwater robotics, demand
the most trustworthy and reliable of systems.

GOBOTiX has a wide variety of projects which you would be a part of:
    - Rail Navigation Systems
        - Why? GPS doesn't differentiate between parallel rails and also
relies on satellites being visible. Existing axle-counting
infrastructure is prone to failure and relies upon cabling which is
susceptible to theft. Signals require fine control so trains don't go
the wrong way. Thus, automatic re-scheduling of trains is required if
delays are to be reduced, this requires knowing their precise location
in ALL operating conditions.
        - This project involves real-world live trials of the system
on-board trains starting in the coming months. Lots of opportunity for
mechanical and electrical design and testing in addition to algorithms
and software development. A mock-up lab testing environment will be used
to simulate difficult conditions.
    - Maintenance and condition monitoring of rolling stock(trains)
        - System visually searches for anomalies in the condition of
train systems.
            - Gather lots of statistics over time.
            - Requires initial data collection platform design and
installation.
        - Algorithms required to measure operational limits of different
systems and look for anomalies and report them appropriately.
    - Driver-less Autonomous Cars and remote tele-operation
        - Using our Toyota Prius, explore the challenges facing
autonomous vehicle failure and investigate the benefits remote
assistance via tele-operation can provide. This is both a social and a
systems exercise, exploring what passengers require from
remote-assistance, and what the technical requirements are. The
implementation of a prototype tele-operation system is required. This
will be tested and demonstrated as part of a High Profile autonomous
vehicle test environment in London.
    - Anomaly Detection Systems
    - Surveying and Mapping Systems (Laser and Vision)

For more information about available positions see full advert at
http://gobotix.co.uk/gobotixcareer.pdf
The website is currently under construction ...

All applicants must have the right to work in the UK.

Please contact Dr Ben Davis (biz at gobotix.co.uk)