[robotics-worldwide] [Jobs] Postdoctoral position at the CNRS-I3S/UNS Sophia Antipolis, France

comport Andrew.Comport at cnrs.fr
Wed Oct 1 15:29:14 PDT 2014

Large-scale dense localisation and mapping of construction buildings using an
autonomous mobile robot.

The computer vision and robotics group at the CNRS-I3S, Sophia-Antipolis,
France is seeking an outstanding Postdoctoral candidate.

The position is under the supervision of Dr. Andrew Comport and Dr.
Christian Barat. The postodc is associated with a project developing new
techniques in real-time Simultaneous Localisation and Mapping (SLAM) using
RGB-D sensors. The principal objective of this project will be to develop a
3D mapping module which produces a 3D scan of a construction building using
the displacement of a mobile robot. This map will be used to analyse and
detect construction defaults on-site in real-world conditions. The mapping
will be carried out by performing dense SLAM using both photometric texture
information and geometric measurements of the scanned environment around the
robot. A fusion step is also to be considered which will integrate data from
an embedded inertial sensor.

This project is in collaboration with ECA robotics who will be developing
the mobile robot (such as in the above image) along with Etandex and the
LMDC from Touluse. This will involve working closely with their platform.

The candidate for the Postdoc position is expected to have a PhD degree in
computer vision. Strong programming skills in C, C++, MATLAB or equivalent
are required. Experience with OpenGL, OpenCL our CUDA is a plus.  Applicants
demonstrating excellence in other related areas are encouraged to apply.
International applications are encouraged. The salary is 2300-2500
Euro/month gross and will be indexed with inflation. The three year project
begain in 2014 and it would be preferred if the candidate is can start
before the end of the year.

If you are interested in this position please contact :
Dr. Andrew Comport - Andrew.Comport at cnrs.fr
and join a CV including at least two referees and a motivation letter.

Some related references include:
    M. Meilland and A. I. Comport. "On unifying key-frame and voxel-based
dense visual SLAM at large scales". International Conference on Intelligent
Robots and Systems. 2013. Best Paper Award.
    M. Meilland, T. Drummond. and A. I. Comport. "A Unified Rolling Shutter
and Motion Model for Dense 3D Visual Tracking". International Conference on
Computer Vision. 2013.
    M. Meilland, C. Barat and A. I. Comport. "3D High Dynamic Range Dense
Visual SLAM and Its Application to Real-time Object Re-lighting".
International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality. 2013.
    M. Meilland and A. I. Comport. "Super-resolution 3D Tracking and
Mapping". IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation. 2013.