[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Lecturer/Senior Lecturer/Reader in Control and Systems Engineering (Assistive Technology and Connected Healthcare), The University of Sheffield

Roderich Gross r.gross at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Oct 1 08:49:18 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

I would like to draw your attention to the new Academic Position
(Lecturer, Senior Lecturer or Reader) in the Department of Automatic
Control and Systems Engineering, The University of Sheffield, in the
area of Assistive Technology and Connected Healthcare. We would very
much welcome applicants with strong expertise in robotics.

Full information about this post can be found at:

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AJO453/lecturer-senior-lecturer-reader-in-control-and-systems-engineering-assistive-technology-and-connected-healthcare/
<http://www.jobs.ac.uk/job/AJO453/lecturer-senior-lecturer-reader-in-control-and-systems-engineering-assistive-technology-and-connected-healthcare/>

The closing date for applications is  9th October 2014

Automatic Control and Systems Engineering (ACSE) is one of the largest
departments devoted to the subject in Europe, with 27 academic staff, 30
research staff, 20 professional and support staff and nearly 400 taught
and research students. We are an internationally leading research
department with a vibrant culture spanning all aspects of Systems and
Control Engineering.

The Department hosts the Centre for Signal Processing and Complex
Systems and the Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre in Control and
Systems Engineering. In addition, we play an active role in other
University research centres and institutes including the Sheffield
Centre for Robotics, the Institute for In Silico Medicine, the Centre
for Stem Cell Biology, the Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre and
the Centre for Assistive Technology and Connected Healthcare.

We carry out world-leading theoretical and applied research that
advances the understanding of complex dynamical systems and leads to new
paradigms for modelling, analysis, design and management of large-scale,
distributed heterogeneous systems, intelligent decision support systems,
cooperative, reconfigurable and autonomous systems.

  The University of Sheffield has established the Centre for Assistive
Technology and Connected Healthcare as a strategic research centre
(www.catch.org.uk <http://www.catch.org.uk/>) which operates across
University Faculties.  Our vision is to establish an internationally
leading interdisciplinary research hub to research and develop new
user-friendly technologies to enable independent living and improve
healthcare for older and disabled people.

The post offers the opportunity to conduct internationally leading
research in any area that is relevant to the Department, for example
Systems and Control, Robotics, Sensing and Actuation, Signal Processing
and Decision Support, Data Modelling and Computational Intelligence,
focusing on the development of new technologies and services which
support older and disabled people to live their everyday lives. The post
will involve working with patients, carers, clinicians, healthcare
professionals and external partners to ensure that research is
translated into practical solutions with real impact.  Applicants should
have a PhD in a relevant discipline (or have equivalent experience).

Best wishes,

--
Roderich Gross, PhD SMIEEE
Senior Lecturer in Robotics and Computational Intelligence

The University of Sheffield
Sheffield Centre for Robotics
Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering
Sheffield S1 3JD, UK
http://www.shef.ac.uk/acse/staff/roderich-gross