[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Participation: Humanoids 2014 Workshop on Active Learning in Robotics

Herke van Hoof hoof at ias.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Oct 29 07:45:24 PDT 2014

ACTIVE LEARNING IN ROBOTICS WORKSHOP
Humanoids 2014, Madrid, Spain
November 18th, 2014

We invite all interested researchers to participate in the Humanoids 2014
workshop on Active Learning in Robotics: Exploration Strategies in Complex
Environments.

SUMMARY

The design of agents that can learn complex skills by themselves is still
in its infancy. One bottleneck is the lack of labeled data. Datasets are
often limited in size and coverage, since they need experiments on robots
or expensive simulations. Thus an important capability of every robot in
complex environments is to gather new data.

To do this efficiently, intelligent robots need to be able to identify
which task-relevant information is still missing.  Only this ability
enables agents to actively work towards a better understanding of the
environment, the agent's state, and the task at hand, which will eventually
lead to better performance.

Active learning is an approach to gain this ability. Within this paradigm
the agent chooses the next data point to achieve the best learning result
with as few data points as possible. Such strategies can shorten the
process of data gathering significantly and also lead to the important
information more quickly.

OBJECTIVES

In this workshop, we want to discuss the state of the art of active
learning in robotics, but also address important open questions, such as:

* What representation of knowledge allows efficient reasoning about it?
* What are successful strategies based on these representations?
* How can we generalize or transfer experiences to decrease the need of
data?
* How to explore safely without damaging the robot and its environment?
* How can existing approaches be `scaled up' to real world domains?

We aim for this variety of topics to be represented by participants from
the robotics and machine learning communities.

SPEAKERS

We are happy to announce the following speakers have confirmed their
participation in the workshop:

Andreas Krause (ETH Zürich)
Ruben Martinez-Cantin (Centro Universitario de la Defensa)
Jivko Sinapov (University of Texas at Austin)
Clement Moulin-Frier (Flowers Laboratory, INRIA Bordeaux)

DATE AND LOCATION

November 18th 2014, 9:00 - 13:00
IEEE-RAS International Conference on Humanoid Robots
Hotel Melia Castilla, Madrid, Spain

WEBSITE AND SCHEDULE

All information regarding the workshop, including the schedule,  will be
published on the website
http://www.robot-learning.de/Workshops/Humanoids2014ActiveLearning.

More information on Humanoids 2014, as well as the conference- and workshop
registration can be found at http://www.humanoids2014.com.

ACKNOWLEDGMENT

The workshop will be funded by the DFG (German Science Foundation) within
the priority program "Autonomous Learning" (SPP 1527).

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

Johannes Kulick, University of Stuttgart
Herke van Hoof, Technische Universität Darmstadt
Marc Toussaint, University of Stuttgart
and Jan Peters, Technische Universität Darmstadt &
                Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems