[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Hands-on Tutorial: Robot Operating System (ROS) Support from MATLAB

Yanliang Zhang Yanliang.Zhang at mathworks.com
Wed Sep 3 06:42:45 PDT 2014

Title: Hands-on Tutorial: Robot Operating System (ROS) Support from MATLAB.

Laptops and Software will be provided at the tutorial for hands-on learning.

Tutorial Date at IROS 2014: Sunday, September 14, 1:30pm - 5:00pm

In this tutorial, we will demonstrate how MATLAB(r) interacts with the Robot Operating System (ROS) using a new I/O Package. The package provides an API for creating ROS nodes in MATLAB that operate and communicate based on ROS's publisher/subscriber mechanism. The ROS I/O Package has the following key features:
(1) Enable creation of ROS nodes, publishers, and subscribers directly from MATLAB;
(2) Enable creation of ROS messages from MATLAB;
(3) Enable publishers to publish MATLAB data to their advertised topics;
(4) Enable subscribers to execute arbitrary, user-defined MATLAB functions when messages are received;
(5) Enable launching of a ROS Master in MATLAB. In addition, we will also demonstrate how to develop robotics applications with TurtleBot, Husky from Clearpath Robotics and Baxter from Rethink Robotics inside MATLAB using this I/O.

Register at http://www.iros2014.org/registration,-travel,-local/registration

Yanliang Zhang (Ph.D.)
Robotics Product and Industrial Manager
The MathWorks, Inc.