[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Participation: IROS 2014 Workshop on Assistive Robotics for Individuals with Disabilities: HRI Issues and Beyond

ChungHyuk Park zulmo.pjh at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 11:33:30 PDT 2014

*CALL* *FOR PARTICIPATION*

*IROS* *2014 Full-day Workshop: Assistive Robotics for Individuals with
Disabilities: HRI Issues and Beyond*

*Date & Time:  September 14,  Sunday,  8:30am - 5:00pm*

*Location:  Salon 8,  3rd Floor,  Palmer House Hilton,  Chicago,  IL*

*Organizers*
===========
Hae Won Park, Georgia Institute of Technology
haewon.park at gatech.edu
Momotaz Begum, University of Massachusetts Lowell         mbegum at cs.uml.edu
Chung Hyuk Park, New York Institute of Technology
chung.park at nyit.edu

*Workshop Overview*

==================
The focus of this workshop is to bring clinicians and roboticists together
to discuss some of the critical issues related to the design, development,
and deployment of assistive robots for individuals with disabilities.

Recent studies show that assistive robots (ARs) have huge potential in
serving individuals with various physical and cognitive disabilities in
their everyday lives, treatments, and therapies. However, a recent European
Commission survey reveals the public’s negative attitudes toward
usingrobots for
providing care for people with disabilities. Although the applications of
ARs are much more diverse than what were stated in the survey, the
acceptance of ARs to target population should be further investigated. ARs
are application-oriented robots and their success largely depends on their
utility while serving the target population. Since utility is closely
aligned with the types of disabilities, there are a number of crucial
issues related to the robot’s design, functionality, and
human-robot-interaction
algorithms that should be addressed:

-- Are we placing close enough attention to target users’ needs?
-- How are we addressing individual differences?
-- Are there social-cognition factors inherent to certain disabilities that
affect perceiving ARs?
-- What have we observed and learned in terms of user acceptance while
conducting studies with ARs?

This workshop aims at discussing the issues that arise as we move forward
to making ARs more acceptable, irrespective of the type of ARs and the form
of assistance they offer. Further information is available in
the workshopwebsite: http://www.haewonpark.com/IROS2014-ARHRI/

*Workshop Topics*

================

-- HRI issues in assisting people with disabilities
-- User acceptance of assistive robots
-- Social cognition towards assistive robots
-- Adaptation and learning in assistive robotics
-- User-centered design (UCD) models and approaches in assistive robotics
-- Methods of identifying end-users’ special needs and ways of data sharing
among researchers targeting similar populations

*Confirmed Invited Speakers*

==========================

*Takanori Shibata**,      Human Technology Research Institute,   AIST*

*Elaine Short (Maja Matarić),      Computer Science,   University of
Southern California*

*John-John Cabibihan**,      Mechanical Engineering,   Qatar Univ.*

*Charlie Kemp**,      Biomedical Engineering,   Georgia Tech.*

*Wendy Rogers**,      Psychology,   Georgia Tech.*

*Holly Yanco,      Computer Science,   University of Massachusetts Lowell*

*Andrew Fagg**,      Computer Science,   University of Oklahoma*

*Michelle Johnson,      Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation,   University of
Pennsylvania*

*James Patton**,      National Center for Rehabilitation Robotics,
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago*

*Brian Scassellati,      Computer Science,   Yale University*

*Ayanna Howard**,      Electrical & Computer Engineering,   Georgia Tech.*

Thank you very much for your attention. We look forward to meeting you in
Chicago.

Chung Hyuk Park, on behalf of the organizers

Chung Hyuk Park
Assistant Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
School of Engineering and Computing Sciences
New York Institute of Technology
1855 Broadway New York, NY 10023
Phone: 646-273-6176;   E-mail: chung.park at nyit.edu <Chung.Park at nyit.edu>
Homepage: http://www.chunghyukpark.com/