[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] DARPA Robotics Challenge opportunities with CMU/NREC

Tony Stentz axs at rec.ri.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 15 12:37:46 PDT 2014

The CHIMP robot is Carnegie Mellon’s entry into the DARPA Robotics
Challenge (DRC), a competition of disaster response robots with a $2M
cash prize. CHIMP is one of the most advanced humanoid robots in the
world and has been designed and built at the National Robotics
Engineering Center (NREC), part of CMU’s world-renowned Robotics
Institute. CHIMP was one of the top finalists at last year’s DRC Trials,
and preparations are being made to compete in the DRC Finals in June 2015.

We are actively recruiting new members to join our team and fill
critical roles in the software development for CHIMP. We are recruiting
at all levels, including internships, contract work, postdoctoral
positions, and full time employment.

Requirements we are looking for include:
* a strong desire to develop cutting edge technologies
* experience working on a highly dynamic and diverse team of world class
engineers
* effective communication skills in a fast-paced engineering environment
* solid C++ experience developing complex software for real world systems
* best practices working with DVCS tools such as Mercurial and Git
* the ability to meet inflexible deadlines and work under pressure in
critical roles

We are specifically recruiting for two different roles. For the role of
SOFTWARE ENGINEER, some additional desired qualities are:
* BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related field
* ROS, RViz, and graphics programming experience
* build systems management (CMake preferred)
* use of continuous integration principles and test driven development
* capabilities at all levels of a Linux software stack: embedded
systems, device drivers, distributed systems
* ability to contribute across all aspects of a complicated software systems

For the role of PERCEPTION ENGINEER, we are looking for:
* BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Robotics, or other
perception-related field
* 3D perception experience (using LIDAR or Stereo to analyze cluttered
3D scenes)
* experience with object matching, scene analysis, etc.
* proven track record using computer vision and machine learning for
perception
* the ability to deliver solid perception algorithms under heavily
constrained computational resources
* ROS, OpenCV, and PCL experience a plus

---------

See the job posting on-line:

http://www.nrec.ri.cmu.edu/projects/tartanrescue/careers/

To apply, send email to: