[robotics-worldwide] [journals] deadline ext. - Special Issue on Autonomous Robots: Whole-Body control of contacts and dynamics for humanoid robots

Serena Ivaldi ivaldi at ias.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Sep 21 15:57:32 PDT 2014

Dear all,

after numerous requests, we extended the deadline for paper submission to
the Special Issue on the Autonomous Robots journal:

"Whole-body control of contacts and dynamics for humanoid robots"

==> Extended deadline: October 20, 2014

Best wishes,

Serena Ivaldi, Jan Babic, Mike Mistry, Robin Murphy

DEADLINE EXTENSION
Call for Papers - Autonomous Robots
Special Issue on Whole-body control of contacts and dynamics for humanoid
robots

== Introduction ==

The Autonomous Robots journal invites papers for a special issue titled
"Whole-body control of contacts and dynamics for humanoid robots." To act
in unstructured natural environments as humans do, contacts and physical
interactions are necessary and unavoidable. In recent years, whole-body
control techniques have matured to the point where various humanoid robots
can robustly interact with their environment. Robots may exploit
predictable contacts to aid in goal achievement, as well as learn dynamics
of contact to generalize over novel tasks and domains. They may regulate
their compliance to cope with unpredictable contacts and ensure safe
behaviours. While these achievements are a major milestone for robotics,
they still need to be applied to more challenging situations, inspired by
natural settings and physical interaction scenarios. There is a strong need
for advanced methods that can handle multiple contacts, unforeseen or
intentional, with different rigidity properties, and guarantee the robust,
autonomous execution of actions (balancing, walking, manipulation) in
variable contexts.

== Focus ==

This special issue focuses on control and learning techniques applied to
estimation, control and adaptation of whole-body dynamics, movement and
contact forces that go beyond basic balancing abilities. We invite
submissions of research papers that address important challenges in robot
control of multiple contacts under uncertainty, encouraging discussion of
real-world architectural frameworks. We also solicit submissions that
rigorously discuss and compare current state of the art techniques, as well
as recent advances in the field, or open challenges. Topics of interest
include but are not limited to:

== Topics ==

What is the state-of-the-art in whole-body dynamics estimation?
What is the state of the art in dynamics and contacts simulation?
How much can we reliably learn from simulations? How can we validate
simulations?
How can modern techniques benefit from studies in human motor control?
How can we build robots that facilitate balancing on uneven or compliant
terrains?
How can we generalize efficient control techniques to deal with contacts of
different nature and properties?
How can we benefit from recent results in machine learning, e.g.,
structured learning, Gaussian processes, conditional random fields, deep
belief networks?
How can robots make use of reinforcement learning, or other
self-improvement methods, to adapt to changing environments and control
tasks?
How can robots learn to handle compliant contacts?
Which representations can leverage the acquisition of complete multi-modal
models of the environment through physical exploration?
How can robots determine optimal actions on non-rigid objects?
How can robots exploit contacts to achieve goal-oriented actions?
Which sets of sensors can be used to estimate the physical interaction of
the robot with its environment?
How can robots exploit physical forces from interaction with humans?
How can robots learn to detect and exploit the salient events in human
whole-body tasks, e.g. when humans make and break contact?
How can human task knowledge be efficiently transferred to robots?
What are the key challenges and can we decide on benchmark tasks that allow
us to measure and compare progress in this field?
What are new metrics and practical methods for evaluating platform,
software, human-robot interaction, and overall system performance in the
field?

== Important Dates ==

Paper submission deadline: October 20, 2014 (EXTENDED)
First reviews completed: November 30, 2014
Revised papers due: December 20, 2014
Final decision: December 30, 2014

== Submission ==

Papers must be prepared in accordance with the Journal guidelines:

http://www.springer.com/engineering/robotics/journal/10514

http://static.springer.com/sgw/documents/1447002/application/pdf/AURO_CFP_CODYCO_v3.pdf

All papers will be reviewed following the regular reviewing procedure of
the Journal.

== Guest Editors ==

Serena Ivaldi (ivaldi at ias.tu-darmstadt.de) - TU Darmstadt

Jan Babic (jan.babic at ijs.si ) - Jozef Stefan Institute