[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] Call for Participation - Northeast Robotics Colloquium 2014

Stefanie Tellex stefie10 at cs.brown.edu
Sun Sep 28 19:05:51 PDT 2014

Update: Due to the ICRA and HRI deadlines, we have extended the poster
and demo submission deadline and registration deadline to Saturday,
October 4rd! We encourage posters and demos about your HRI and ICRA
submissions!

   Northeast Robotics Colloquium (NERC 2014)

   10 AM - 6 PM, October 11th 2014 (Saturday), Brown University

   http://cs.brown.edu/~stefie10/nerc-2014

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

We invite all roboticists to attend the 3rd annual Northeast Robotics
Colloquium (NERC) to be held at Brown University on Saturday, October
11th 2014.

After two very successful events in Boston at MIT in 2012 and Harvard in
2013, NERC is moving to Brown University for the 2014 edition.   The
colloquium aims to bring together all robotics practitioners in the
northeastern United States through an exciting one-day event that is
simultaneously a research symposium, a job-fair, and a showcase for
established and up-and-coming robotics companies. Ultimately, we hope to
promote the kind of healthy and well-connected robotics community that
will be essential in fueling the field's rapid growth in the coming
decade.

The colloquium will feature invited talks by leading local researchers
and professionals, robotics industry booths and demos, and interactive
poster sessions. The program provides the occasion to meet and mix with
other area roboticists and offers unique career and networking
opportunities.

NERC is co-located with Waterfire, Providence’s well-known festival of
fire and water.  After the colloquium, enjoy a full-basin lighting of
braziers along the rivers in Providence, along with music and other
festivities.

This year's invited talks are:
* Holly Yanco,  UMass Lowell
* Bertram Malle, Brown University
* Joe Jones, Harvest Automation
* Nicholas Roy, MIT

NERC is located fifteen minutes walk from the Providence Amtrak station.
  There is daily train service from Boston and New York City.  The MBTA
also has daily commuter rail train between Providence and Boston.

Register for NERC at http://nerc2014.eventbrite.com. The registration
deadline has been extended to October 4, 2014 (after the ICRA and HRI
deadlines). Registration is $50 for general audience, $10 for
undergraduates, and additional meal tickets for family members are
available for $10.

CALL FOR POSTERS AND DEMOS

Apart from the invited talks, the colloquium will feature an extensive
poster/demo session intended to foster discussion on the recent
developments in robotics from both academia and industry. This is a
great opportunity for you to publicize your ongoing work, as well as get
feedback from other researchers.

Submit a proposal for demos or posters as a 1-paragraph abstract. Make
sure that the author list, affiliations, and contact information are
clear in the submission. Please email them to the organizers at
nerc-2014 at lists.cs.brown.edu, with subject "Poster" for poster
submissions and "Demo" for demo submissions. We will accept posters and
demos on a rolling basis.  The poster submission deadline has been
extended to October 4, 2014.

FAMILIES

We recognize that NERC is held on a Saturday, and that this makes it
difficult for some people to attend. To address this, we're including a
low-cost family registration option (and kids under 12 are free!), so
your family can attend the conference, see the robots, and share the
food at the event. Providence is a great city for families, and has a
wonderful Children's Museum close to Brown University. There are also
many great beaches and parks; one of our favorites is Lincoln Woods.
Finally, we are holding NERC on the same day as the famous Waterfire
festival. After NERC finishes, about 10 minutes away in downtown
Providence, more than eighty braziers will be lit in the rivers. There
will be live music, food, and other activities.

GOLD SPONSORS

Jaybridge Robotics
www.jaybridge.com

Humanity-Centered Robotics Initiative, Brown University
http://hcri.brown.edu/

SPONSORS

ABB
www.abb.com