[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CfP: RSS 2015 Workshop - Reviewing the review process: An open review experiment for the robotics community

agarwal agarwal at informatik.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Apr 16 08:08:53 PDT 2015

Call for papers: RSS 2015 Workshop:
Reviewing the review process: An open review experiment for the robotics
community.
July 17, 2015, Rome
Website: http://openreview.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/

MOTIVATION AND OBJECTIVES
The reviewing process for robotics conferences has remained quite constant
over the past decades, while the community has grown many folds. It is
widely recognized that the current reviewing system is far from perfect and
has some serious deficiency: It is slow, taking up to six months from
submission to publication. Anonymous reviewers might be biased. Reviewers
get little credit for their good work and can write bad reviews with almost
no consequences. Traditional peer review is also a static process, where
changes in the paper can only be done at pre-scheduled intervals.

With this workshop, we want to increase awareness for an open reviewing
process. We believe that open review will not only help the authors and
reviewers but also significantly improve the quality of publications. The
goal of the workshop is two-fold. On one side, it is a discussion forum on
the current reviewing model and the benefits of a more open system. On the
other side, it will serve as an open review experiment, where we select
contributed papers from all areas in robotics to be presented based on an
open review model.

CALL FOR PAPERS
------------------------
We encourage submission of papers from all aspects of robotics research
that the authors believe have great potentials, even if they present a
proof of concept. Additionally, we encourage submission of papers that the
authors believe may have a significant impact but received unsatisfactory
reviews from previous submissions. The papers will be reviewed publicly by
the community using the open-review paradigm.

Further details are available on
http://openreview.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/cfp

SPECIAL ISSUE ON AUTONOMOUS ROBOTS
Selected papers will be considered for a special issue on community
reviewed papers in Autonomous Robots. More details on the special issue
will be given later.

IMPORTANT DATES
-------------------------
Submission deadline:  May 10
Commenting closes:  June 5
Decision of papers:  June 12
Workshop:  July 17

FURTHER INFORMATION
Please visit the webpage http://openreview.informatik.uni-freiburg.de/ or
contact the organizers

Gian Diego Tipaldi, Pratik Agarwal, Wolfram Burgard
University of Freiburg, Germany