[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Mechatronics Engineer
andrea.bajo at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 07:25:11 PDT 2015
TransEnterix Surgical Inc. is a medical device company that is pioneering
the use of flexible instruments and robotics to improve the outcomes of
minimally invasive surgery. Specifically, we are addressing the challenges
presented to patients, surgeons, hospitals and payers in laparoscopy and
robotic surgery today.
The R&D department is looking for a Mechatronics Engineer with expertise
and experience in the general area of electro-mechanical medical devices. The
Mechatronics Engineer will integrate complex mechanical, electrical, and
software components as part of the design and development of a commercially
viable surgical robot. This role will involve working through all phases of
product development including concept development, testing and analysis,
design for manufacturability, and commercialization. A successful candidate
will have a proven track record of innovation and making sound technical
decisions while getting complex integrated products to market.
- Drive the design and architecture for the electromechanical systems
needed for the precise movement and control of a surgical robot.
- Characterize the existing implementation to identify areas for
improvement or verify it meets the system requirements and design intent.
- Build and test complex electromechanical systems and test beds.
- Research, test, and select various electronics, including motors,
sensors, communication technologies, etc., to meet system requirements.
- Research, test, and select various mechanical components, including
ball screws, bearings, gears, etc., to meet system requirements.
- Run thermal and finite element analysis to ensure robust design.
- Design support structures and enclosures to house all of the
electronics and mechanical components taking into account cable routing and
- Create design documents for parts, assemblies, and finished product.
- Select and interface with vendors to optimize manufacturability of the
product and get production quotes.
- Perform design analysis and risk analyses.
- Comply with regulatory requirements, and company design control
- Provide engineering support to manufacturing and operations.
- Assist in document control and maintenance of design history file.
- Education: B.S. or M.S. in mechatronics, robotics, or mechanical
- Minimum of 5 years of engineering experience required. Desired level
of experience dependent on degree and experience type.
- Demonstrated ability to commercially launch complex electromechanical
systems or capital equipment.
- Strong working knowledge of regulatory requirements for software and
hardware development, including knowledge of standards such as IEC 60601,
ISO 13485, ISO 14971.
- Experience within the medical industry or other regulated environment.
- Track record of designing for manufacturability with a working
knowledge of a wide variety of manufacturing processes.
- Must be able to clearly and effectively communicate technical ideas,
concepts, and knowledge to other individuals and teams.
- History of working with the following technologies desired:
- Robotic systems
- Electrosurgical Devices
- Medical devices – capital equipment
- Cable driven mechanical systems
- Proficient in SolidWorks or similar CAD/CAM program.
If you are interested in the position and would like to apply, please
browse the career section of the company website (
Andrea Bajo, Ph.D.
More information about the robotics-worldwide