[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Autonomous Driving R&D: Multiple Postdoc and R&D Engineer positions open

Ryan Eustice eustice at umich.edu
Wed Apr 15 11:34:30 PDT 2015

University of Michigan, Ann Arbor is looking for excellent Postdoc and R&D
Engineer candidates to come join our academic group in autonomous driving,
led by Professors Ryan Eustice and Edwin Olson.  The multiple opening are
on our Next Generation Vehicle project, which is in collaboration with Ford
Motor Company Research in Dearborn, Michigan.  We have a number of vehicle
testbeds based upon an automated 2014 Ford Fusion Hybrid platform, and
UMich has recently constructed a new purpose-built facility for the testing
and development of connected and automated vehicles, dubbed Mcity.

NGV media release:  http://tinyurl.com/um-ngv

Lab webpages:  http://robots.engin.umich.edu   and
http://april.eecs.umich.edu

Mcity:  http://mtc.umich.edu/test-facility

Post-doc positions: Applicants with a demonstrated research record in robot
perception, state estimation, mapping, motion planning, or a related field
are sought to help develop novel approaches. It is envisioned that most
applicants will have a PhD in computer science or robotics, though this is
not a strict requirement. Postdoc positions will provide significant
opportunities for career development, including research and publishing,
and mentoring of PhD students. Applicants should clearly enunciate their
career objectives, research interests, and their current skills that are
applicable to the project.

Research Engineer positions: We are also seeking engineering personnel who
will be focused on day-to-day software development,
software/electrical/mechanical integration, vehicle testing, etc. Ideal
applicants will have a PhD and demonstrated research record in robot
perception, state estimation, mapping, motion planning, or a related field.
Extensive debugging skills and experience, as exemplified by other
"real-world" robotics projects, are highly valued. In most cases,
applicants should have a solid background in performance-sensitive software
development. Applicants should clearly enunciate their practical
experience, and their current skills that are applicable to the project.

To inquire about a position, please send a cover letter indicating what
type of position you are interested in, and a description of your
qualifications. All applicants should include a CV. Postdoc applicants
should include a research statement with links to recent publications;
Research Engineer applicants should do the same where applicable. Due to
the volume of applicants anticipated, we may not be able to individually
respond to each application. If you will be at ICRA'15 in Seattle or RSS'15
in Rome, please indicate that in your cover letter so that we can
potentially meet during then.

Please send materials to: ngv-apply at umich.edu

For Postdocs, use subject line "NGV Application: [Postdoc]".

For R&D Engineers, use subject line "NGV Application: [Engineer]".

--
Ryan Eustice, PhD
Associate Professor, University of Michigan