[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Open calls for pos-doc, PhD student and tech support at ISR-UC from EU BAMBI project

Jorge Lobo jlobo at isr.uc.pt
Fri Apr 10 04:56:48 PDT 2015

BAMBI  Bottom-up Approaches to Machines dedicated to Bayesian Inference

http://www.bambi-fet.eu

The Institute of Systems and Robotics - University of Coimbra (ISR-UC) is an associated research institution of the University of Coimbra that promotes advanced multidisciplinary R&D in Autonomous Systems and Robotics, and, in particular through the Artificial Perception for Intelligent Robotic Systems (AP4ISR) team that focus on the development of theoretical and technological solutions in the area of Artificial Perception and Intelligent Robotic Systems, with the aim of deploying Robotic solutions to improve mankind's quality of life.

Within the BAMBI consortium, ISR-UC in Coimbra will focus on the emulation hardware implementation and on the computational architecture to be developed, namely in the composition of basic building blocks for probabilistic computation. We have a setup with high-end FPGAs that enable us to use reconfigurable logic to build machines dedicated to Bayesian inference. Target application in robotics, where robots need to dwell in uncertainty, will be pursued, taking advantage of the low power of reconfigurable logic devices and their flexibility and inherent parallelism.

Accepting new Submissions until April 20th for pos-doc, PhD student, and technical support fellowships

Position for pos-doc fellowship (BPD*):

The candidate will be responsible for driving research efforts on theory and hardware implementation of probabilistic computation. The research will study probabilistic computation following two major axes: algebra and reconfigurable hardware. The activities will be in coordination with the project team at Coimbra University ensuring the successful implementation of the project's overall plan and the fulfilment of the scientific and technical aspects of its Milestones.
requirements: PhD degree in Electronic/Electrical/Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science or similar. Preference is given to candidates with knowledge in Bayesian Inference, Robotics, computational architectures and reconfigurable logic.

Position for PhD fellowship (BD*):

The candidate will pursue PhD Studies on probabilistic computation and applications in robotics. The research will study probabilistic computation following two major axes: algebra and reconfigurable hardware. The activities will be in coordination with the project team at Coimbra University ensuring the successful implementation of the aims of the BAMBI project.
requirements:  MSc degree in Electrical/Electronic/Biomedical Engineering, Computer Science or similar. Preference is given to candidates with academic background and MSc thesis experience in robotics, digital computing hardware and reconfigurable logic devices.

Position for technical support (BI-M*):

VHDL programming and implementation on FPGAs, and technical support for the project.
requirements:  MSc degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Computer Science or similar. Preference is given to candidates with academic background and MSc thesis experience in VHDL and reconfigurable logic devices as well as robotics.

The work will be carried out at ISR-UC in a lab equipped with high end reconfigurable logic resources and several robotic resources for some target applications. When required, short stays at some of the project partners might take place, beyond the regular project meetings.

The scholarship has an initial probation period of 3 months, and will be anual and renewable during the duration of the project.

Submissions should include an introduction/motivation letter indicating intended position, full CV and degree certificates, and be sent by email to: Jorge Lobo (jlobo at isr.uc.pt).

Summary of the project:

We propose a theory and a hardware implementation of probabilistic computation inspired by biochemical cell signalling. We will study probabilistic computation following three axes: algebra, biology, and hardware. In each case, we will develop a bottom-up hierarchical approach starting from the elementary components, and study how to combine them to build more complex systems. We propose Bayesian gates operating on probability distributions on binary variables as the building blocks of our probabilistic algebra. These Bayesian gates can be seen as a generalisation of logical operators in Boolean algebra. We propose to interpret elementary cell signalling pathways as biological implementation of these probabilistic gates. In turn, the key features of biochemical processes give new insights for innovative probabilistic hardware implementation. We propose to associate conventional electronics and novel stochastic nano-devices to build the required hardware elements. Combining them will lead to new artificial information processing systems, which could, in the future, outperform classical computers in tasks involving a direct interaction with the physical world. For these purposes, the BAMBI project associates research in Bayesian probability theory, molecular biology, nanophysics, computer science and electronics.

The BAMBI project is a EU collaborative FET Project - FP7-ICT-2013-C, project number 618024.

Project webpage: http://www.bambi-fet.eu

For more information on the project and the positions, send an e-mail to: Jorge Lobo (jlobo at isr.uc.pt).

 Jorge Lobo • Ph. D. • Senior Researcher • Assistant Professor with tenure

AP4ISR team  •  Institute of Systems and Robotics (ISR)
DEEC Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
FCTUC Faculty of Science and Technology,  University of Coimbra
3030-390 Coimbra, PORTUGAL

email: jlobo at isr.uc.pt
url: http://ap.isr.uc.pt/?w=people_information&ID=40