[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CfP: RSS 2015 Workshop - The problem of mobile sensors: Setting future goals and indicators of progress for SLAM

Yasir Latif yasir.latif at adelaide.edu.au
Tue Apr 28 17:14:35 PDT 2015

Call for Papers - RSS 2015 Workshop:
The problem of mobile sensors: Setting future goals and indicators of
progress for SLAM
July 17, 2015, Rome
Website: http://ylatif.github.io/movingsensors/

*MOTIVATION AND OBJECTIVES*

Simultaneous Localization and Mapping (SLAM) is an important problem in
mobile robotics and its solution is fundamental in order to achieve true
autonomy. As soon as sensors start moving in the environment, a SLAM
problem needs to be solved, to associate sensor measurements to geographic
locations. The goal of the workshop is to define an agenda for future
research on SLAM, through the discussion of two main themes: firstly, the
workshop will provide an occasion to debate what the community expects from
a complete SLAM solution, and secondly, top researchers in the field will
provide an overview on where we stand today and what future directions need
to be taken to achieve the expected goals.

The workshop will include heterogeneous invited talks, so to define present
and future of SLAM through the lens of both researchers and users. Our
schedule includes presentations from experts in the field, who can provide
technical insight into the problem, as well as researchers who have
proposed different benchmarks and datasets that make the evaluation of
state-­of-­art algorithms possible. The fundamental aim of the workshop is
to address the question: What needs to happen so we can say that SLAM is
solved? Do we need more well-­constructed benchmarks? Should algorithms
provide mathematical guarantees so we can claim that they work in every
scenario?

*SCHEDULE*
-----------------

The workshop will include *invited talks* given by leading researchers from
both academia and industry (a tentative schedule is available on the workshop
website <http://ylatif.github.io/movingsensors/>). *Contributed papers*
will be presented during the poster session.

*BROAD PARTICIPATION*
---------------------

Besides the invited talks and the paper submissions, we plan to have a
broad participation from the robotics community, by enabling a website
where researchers and users can post questions and ideas related to the
future of SLAM (open problems, current status, opportunities). The posts
will be moderated by the organizers and addressed by the invited speakers
during the workshop.
(join the community and post your questions/comments by clicking here
<https://plus.google.com/communities/102832228492942322585>, or via
the workshop
website <http://ylatif.github.io/movingsensors/#program>).

*SUBMISSIONS*
---------------------

Participants are invited to submit extended abstracts (max 2 pages) or full
papers (max 8 pages) presenting new or ongoing research.
We solicit contributions regarding the following topics:

- Challenges and solutions for SLAM
- New theoretical tools for SLAM
- New benchmarks for SLAM
- Real-world applications for SLAM
- Active SLAM
- Long-term autonomy and experiments
- Robustness in localization and map building
- Mapping and localization in dynamic environments
- Semantic SLAM
- New sensors and sensor fusion strategies

Papers have to be submitted as a single PDF file and will be reviewed by
the program committee.
Multimedia demonstrations are also encouraged.

Please submit your manuscript at:
https://cmt.research.microsoft.com/MS2015/

*IMPORTANT DATES*
-----------------------------

Submission Due: May 18, 2014
Acceptance Notification: June 20, 2014
Camera Ready Papers Due: July 1, 2014
Workshop: July 17, 2015

*AWARDS*
-----------------------------

We will assign the *best poster award* to the authors of the best
contributed submission. Quality and impact of the submissions
will be evaluated by the program committee. More details about the award
will be given shortly.

*ORGANIZERS*
--------------------

Cesar Cadena, University of Adelaide
Luca Carlone, Georgia Institute of Technology
Henry Carrillo, Pontificia Universidad Javeriana
Yasir Latif, University of Adelaide
John Leonard, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
José Neira, University of Zaragoza
Ian Reid, University of Adelaide

*PROGRAM COMMITTEE*
----------------------------------

José Angel Castellanos, University of Zaragoza
Liam Paull, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Niko Sünderhauf, Queensland University of Technology
Gian Diego Tipaldi, Albert­-Ludwigs-­Universität Freiburg
Brian Williams, Google
Davide Scaramuzza, University of Zurich
Margarita Chli, University of Edinburgh
Paul Huang, University of Delaware
Dorian Galvez-­Lopez, University of Colorado
Luis Puig, University of Pennsylvania

​
*FURTHER INFORMATION*

Please visit the workshop website: http://ylatif.github.io/movingsensors/