[robotics-worldwide] First CFP: 3rd International Workshop on Culture-Aware Robotics @ ICSR 2015 [meetings]

Bilge Mutlu bilge at cs.wisc.edu
Tue Aug 11 07:27:42 PDT 2015

Call for papers: CARs at ICSR
3rd International Workshop on Culture Aware Robotics at the International Conference for Social Robotics (ICSR), Paris, 30 October 2015

Culture is not the first aspect that comes to mind when discussing human robot interaction. But our cultural upbringing does to a large degree influence our patterns of behavior and interpretation. Thus, culture is present in the development of robotic systems right from the start, unconsciously influencing how robots look, what we envision with them to do, and how they are programmed to interact with the user. Thus, culture significantly shapes how we interact with each other and with other social entities such as robots, and a better understanding of cultural differences and commonalities will have significant scientific, design, and societal implications. This workshop aims at improving awareness on the topic and facilitates communication among researchers from different cultures and those interested in culture as a factor in interacting with robots. The scientific focus of the activity is directed to culturally-aware robotics, which refers to a brand-new area in social robotics and human robot interaction and is closely related to the emergence of the field of culture aware computing in computer science and related disciplines. The main focus is on understanding the influence of culture on many human processes that affect human-robot interactions be it directly or indirectly. Culture aware robots can thus be defined as robotic systems, where culture-related information has had some impact on its design, runtime or internal processes, structures, and/or objectives.

Organizers
- Matthias Rehm, Aalborg University, Denmark
- Maja Mataric, University of Southern California, USA
- Bilge Mutlu, University of Wisconsin–Madison, USA
- Tatsuya Nomura, Ryukoku University, Japan

Important Dates
- 20 September 2015: Submission deadline
- 05 October 2015: Acceptance notification
- 20 October 2015: Camera-ready copy for Workshop proceedings
- 30 October 2015: Workshop

Submission Instructions
We encourage submissions of 4-6 pages in length following the ACM paper guidelines (http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates <http://www.acm.org/sigs/publications/proceedings-templates>). Please email submissions to rob13 at create.aau.dk <mailto:rob13 at create.aau.dk>. More information can be found at http://cars.e-hci.org/carsiscr.html <http://cars.e-hci.org/carsiscr.html>.

Program Committee
    Elizabeth Ann Jochum, Aalborg University, Denmark
    Kristiina Jokinen, University of Helsinki, Finland
    Yukiko Nakano, Seikei University, Japan
    Toyoaki Nishida, Kyoto University, Japan
    TBA

For questions, contact matthias at create.aau.dk <mailto:matthias at create.aau.dk>.