[robotics-worldwide] [software] Release of the Matlab Toolbox for the iRobot Create 2 (MTIC2)
esposito at usna.edu
Mon Aug 24 06:31:58 PDT 2015
I am pleased to announce the release of the MATLAB Toolbox for the iRobot
Create 2 (MTIC2) - beta version.
WHAT IS THE CREATE 2? The Create 2 is a re-programmable version of
iRobot's Roomba 650 vacuum cleaner targeted at robotics hobbyists,
educators and researchers. For only $199 USD you get a differential
drive robot with bump, cliff, and range sensors, encoders, a charging
station and a communication cable.
WHAT DOES THE TOOLBOX DO? The toolbox allows you to control the Create 2
from a PC or laptop running MATLAB, using a documented library of
intuitive, high-level, functions. Even novice MATLAB users should be able
to get the robot running within 10 minutes. MTIC2 builds off of the
success of the original MTIC which has been downloaded thousands of times
by roboticists from all over the world.
WHAT IS NEW COMPARED TO THE ORIGINAL CREATE AND MTIC?
The most interesting new features include:
* communication cable is now USB, eliminating the need for a separate USB
to serial converter and enabling a faster communication rate;
* robot has more LEDs and a 7-segment display capable of producing ASCII
* robot has 6 short range IR sensors located on bumper for non-contact
* user can control drive wheel motors via raw pulse width modulation (PWM)
* user can read raw encoder readings;
* user can sense drive wheel motor current; and
* the top plate includes drill template for mounting hardware and CAD files
are available to 3-D print accessories.
WHERE CAN I DOWNLOAD THE TOOLBOX?
Documentation and source files can be found here:
Please forward bug reports and user feedback to esposito at usna.edu
Professor Joel M. Esposito
Systems Engineering Department
USNA, Annapolis, MD USA
More information about the robotics-worldwide