[robotics-worldwide] [jobs]

Cynthia Breazeal cynthiab at media.mit.edu
Mon Aug 31 08:09:03 PDT 2015

The Personal Robots Group at the MIT Media Lab is looking for post-doctoral researchers in the areas of human-robot interaction, artificial intelligence, machine learning and data analysis. Our group has historically been centered on social robotics that engage in collaborative activities with people. We are currently focused on projects involving long term interaction and personalization in the area of socially assistive robotics. An ideal candidate will have the skill to advance the core computational science, engineer robust solutions, and will have the capability to lead, manage, and mentor talented graduate students as well as drive progress on critical projects for the group at large.

Our current projects typically fall into one of the following categories:
Socially Assistive Robotics: We are currently conducting research in large-scale, long term interactions with children in schools and hospitals. Our educational robots are designed to augment preschool settings to support core language development of young children as they grow and develop. Our pediatric companion robots focus on working in collaboration with hospital professionals to mediate and manage stress and anxiety for children in hospitals.  We are looking for stellar candidates with experience in some or all of the following domains:  human robot interaction, affective computing, and machine learning — targeting personalization of the robot’s behavior to individuals over time. A background or interest in developmental psychology, education, or emotional regulation is a plus.
Robots as personalized storytelling companions: This research focuses on narrative understanding, personalized story generation and coordinated non-verbal behavior generation using novel goal-oriented algorithms in a human-robot interaction to drive engagement and language learning/development with children. With our partner institutions, we are developing technologies to support semantic analysis, understanding and production of narrative within the context of generating personalized learning experiences for young children especially around collaborative storytelling. Ideal candidates have experience in some or all of the following: AI (especially targeting personalization and natural language understanding applied to narrative), machine learning, human-robot interaction. Experience in developmental psychology or children’s language development is a plus.
All applicants must have a Ph.D. in a computational science field (e.g., AI, human-robot/computer interaction, machine learning, cognitive science or a relevant related field). Applicant should be available to start work on January 1, 2016 or earlier.  Candidates must have a record of work in human-robot interaction or artificial intelligence/machine learning, excellent management and writing skills, and the ability to work effectively within a diverse environment of researchers at our lab and with other sites.
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Applicants should send a C.V. to Polly Guggenheim (pobs at media.mit.edu <mailto:larissa.hall at yale.edu>). Application review will begin immediately.

Cynthia Breazeal
Associate Professor of Media Arts and Sciences
Director of the Personal Robots Group
MIT Media Lab
http://robotic.media.mit.edu <http://robotic.media.mit.edu/>