[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Software Architect Position at Pneubotics (San Francisco)

Thomas Allen tom at otherlab.com
Tue Dec 8 14:30:13 PST 2015

About us:

Pneubotics is looking for strong candidates to help build the world’s first
soft robotic arms. We have reimagined robots from the ground up to produce
soft machines that are stronger, safer, and more efficient in construction
and operation than ever before. We are now building the core team that will
help our robots take their first steps into the world

.

Pneubotics is an Otherlab company based in the Mission district in San
Francisco. We offer a vibrant environment, competitive benefits, and the
chance to help guide the direction of a new company. As we grow our small,
tight-knit team we are looking to hire people that have an appetite for
solving hard problems. If you have a background in creating sophisticated
machines or building a company and have a strong desire to tread into the
unknown, we would like to hear from you.

The position:

We are looking for an embedded systems engineer with a diverse set of
skills to build the nervous system for our unique brand of robots. The
flexible nature of our technology gives it inherent softness but comes with
a higher sensing and computation requirement. We use a sophisticated
network of embedded nodes to sense and control the system. The primary
responsibilities of this position will focus on maturing our embedded
system to efficiently handle the large amount of sensing data and the high
data rates required. It is expected that this person will also be
responsible for enhancing the system’s sensory capability by adding
additional modes of sensing. The right candidate will have a good
foundation in the following.

We are looking for a talented software architect to build the
infrastructure and user interface that allows robots to safely interact
with their environment. This person will work closely with the controls
team to bring our hardware to life. Primary responsibilities will be
focused on architecture with a larger opportunity to help create the
computer vision and planning systems. The problems we are solving are
complex and require someone who can work fluidly in a small team. The right
candidate will have a good foundation in the following.

Required:

BS in computer science or similar field with at least 4 years experience.

Experience creating complex software platforms

Proficiency with C++, Python, and Linux

Familiarity with real-time operating systems and generating code for
efficient  execution

Demonstrated ability to construct and manage build systems

You must enjoy working in teams but can complete complex tasks that require
critical thinking without supervision.

Preferred:

MS or above in relevant field with at least 4 years experience.

Machine vision, motion planning, or control experience a big plus

Hands on experience designing software for robotics or similar hardware
systems

Strong understanding of working with embedded systems and firmware

Comfortable with dynamic programing, optimization, and linear algebra

Familiarity with ROS or other middleware

If interested, please email a resume and brief description of yourself to
robot-jobs at otherlab.com

More information at http://www.pneubotics.com/ and https://otherlab.com/