[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Controls Engineer Position at Pneubotics (San Francisco)

Thomas Allen tom at otherlab.com
Wed Dec 9 20:03:10 PST 2015

About us:

Pneubotics is looking for strong candidates to help build the world’s first
soft robotic arms. We have reimagined robots from the ground up to produce
soft machines that are stronger, safer, and more efficient in construction
and operation than ever before. We are now building the core team that will
help our robots take their first steps into the world.

Pneubotics is an Otherlab company based in the Mission district in San
Francisco. We offer a vibrant environment, competitive benefits, and the
chance to help guide the direction of a new company. As we grow our small,
tight-knit team we are looking to hire people that have an appetite for
solving hard problems. If you have a background in creating sophisticated
machines or building a company and have a strong desire to tread into the
unknown, we would like to hear from you.

The position:

We are looking for a natural controls engineer to help teach our compliant
robots to interact with the world around them. As part of the controls team
you will help define a new standard in manipulation where robots seek out
and take advantage of contact as opposed to avoiding it. In order to
develop effective control laws, this person will need to analyze and
understand messy non-linear systems and produce simple (but not too simple)
models that describe their behavior. Primary responsibilities include
developing and implementing control algorithms in software, integrating new
sensing/state estimation methods, and bringing up/debugging new systems.

The problems we are solving are complex and require someone who can work
fluidly in a small team. The right candidate will have a good foundation in
the following.

Required:

BS in mechanical engineering or similar field with at least four years
experience

Strong background in classical and modern controls

Ability to speak physics fluently

Proficiency in computer programming

Willingness to tackle difficult problems and take on a bit more
responsibility than they’d really like

Preferred:

MS or above in mechanical engineering, computer science, robotics, or
similar

Demonstrated ability to control physical systems

Hands on experience writing software to control physical systems

Has worked in C++, Python, Linux, and ROS

Familiarity with embedded systems, communication protocols, and developing
real-time software

Motion planning or computer vision experience a big plus

Comfortable with linear algebra, robot kinematics, representations of 3D
rotations

If interested, please email a resume and brief description of yourself to
robot-jobs at otherlab.com

More information at http://www.pneubotics.com/ and https://otherlab.com/