[robotics-worldwide] [news] IEEE Haptics Symposium 2016 Student Innovation Challenge

Ali Israr aliisrar at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 9 23:09:07 PST 2015

Dear Colleagues,

The 2016 IEEE Haptics Symposium invites undergraduate and graduate
students to take part in our Student Innovation Challenge.

C A L L   F O R   P A R T I C I P A T I O N
Student Innovation Challenge
2016 IEEE Haptics Symposium
April 8-11, 2016 | Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
http://2016.hapticssymposium.org/studentinnovationchallenge
Applications due January 8, 2016

About the Challenge
The Student Innovation Challenge invites students to use haptic
technology in new, creative ways to solve real-world problems. This
year, teams will work with the Vybe haptic gaming pad, a multi-actuator
device resembling a sports car seat. The gaming pad is equipped with six
voice coils and six DC motors and can be placed on many surfaces, from
seats and couches to beds and mats, or even rearranged into wearables
like vests.

Teams first submit a proposal for their application for their
application using the gaming pad. Applications are varied:
entertainment, education, accessibility, environmental technology, or
other ideas altogether are all possibilities. Successful teams will
receive one gaming pad and the communication protocol to control
individual actuators through USB serial communication. Teams will
compete for $2,000 in cash prizes, and all teams may keep their gaming
pads after the competition. The Student Innovation Challenge is
sponsored by Disney Research and the IEEE Technical Committee on Haptics
(TCH).

Important Dates
Late November – Applications Open
Jan 8 – Applications Due (8:00 p.m. PST)
Jan 22 – Teams Notified
Jan 25 – Hardware sent to teams.
Feb 8 – Travel grant applications open
Mar 6 – Deadline for Early Conference Registration
Apr 1 –Videos Due (8:00 p.m. PST)
Apr 8 – Conference Begins

How to Participate
To participate, a team must submit a two-page proposal through the
challenge website. Eight to ten teams will be chosen and notified. A
Vybe haptic gaming pad with the custom API already installed and tested
will be shipped to the selected teams, and will be given access to the
supporting documents and application notes. All team members must sign
the participants agreement made available on the project website before
the proposal deadline.

Teams will have eight weeks to write and test their applications before
presenting it at the IEEE Haptics Symposium in Philadelphia, PA, USA to
conference attendees and a set of judges. At least one presenter will be
expected to attend the full conference and will be responsible for
applicable registration fees, although some travel assistance is
available based on need.

Student Innovation Challenge Co-Chairs
Ali Israr - Disney Research, USA
Dangxiao Wang - Beihang University, China
Oliver Schneider - University of British Columbia, Canada
studentinnovation at hapticssymposium.org