[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Postdoctoral Fellowship in Robotics at the Autonomous Systems Lab, CSIRO, Melbourne
Stefan.Hrabar at csiro.au
Stefan.Hrabar at csiro.au
Thu Dec 17 22:07:01 PST 2015
Position available: 3-Year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Robotics (Power, Energy and Autonomy for mobile robots)
Organizations: Autonomous Systems Lab, CSIRO, and DSTG, Melbourne Australia
Application deadline: 5 February 2015
click here to apply: https://jobs.csiro.au/job/Melbourne%2C-VIC-Postdoctoral-Fellow-Robotics/315966500/
The Robotics Group in the Connection to the Physical World Research Program of Data61 is seeking a talented and dedicated postdoctoral fellow with particular expertise in the area of Power, Energy and Autonomy for mobile robots. In particular, the candidate will be expected to work closely with the Defence Science and Technology Group (DSTG) to investigate and apply novel algorithms which allow mobile robots to operate for extended durations without manual refuelling or charging of batteries. This will include algorithms for autonomous navigation, management of on-board power use to maximise longevity, multi-criteria mission planning to minimise energy use and maximise energy harvesting potential. You will conduct research on a mobile ground robot fitted with a variety of alternative energy sources such as a Hydrogen Fuel Cell, photovoltaic cells, Lithium Sulphur batteries etc.
Your duties will include:
* Carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to both CSIRO and DSTG that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
* Develop algorithms and techniques to increase the duration for which a mobile robot can operate without human intervention.
* Integrate the latest forms of power generation, energy storage, energy harvesting and autonomy on a mobile robot to optimize energy generation and usage.
* Facilitate liaison between DSTG and CSIRO to benefit Australian Defence capability.
* Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
* Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
Location: Clayton, Melbourne, Vic
Salary: AUD 81K- AUD 88 plus up to 15.4% superannuation
Tenure: Specified term of 3 years
To be successful you will need:
* A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Robotics, Computer Science, Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, or similar. Note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years of prior relevant postdoctoral experience.
* Current Australian citizenship.
* Demonstrated research experience with mobile ground robots, including multi-criteria mission planning, navigation and control.
* Demonstrated experience in working with actual robotic systems (which may include physical construction, testing, hardware/software integration, etc.)
* Programming experience (C++ or Python)
* The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
* A record of science innovation and creativity, plus the ability & willingness to incorporate novel ideas and approaches into scientific investigations.
Who we are: The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO)<http://www.csiro.au/>
At CSIRO we invent the future! - We do this by using science and technology to solve real issues. Our solutions make a difference to industry, people and the planet.
As Australia’s national science agency, we’ve been pushing the edge of what’s possible for almost 90 years. Today we have thousands of talented people working across Australia and internationally. Our people work closely with industry and communities to leave a lasting legacy. Collectively, our innovation and excellence places us in the top ten applied research agencies in the world. We collaborate to innovate!
Our Business Unit: Data61<http://www.data61.csiro.au/> is Australia’s digital powerhouse, formed by the recent integration of NICTA and CSIRO’s Digital Productivity business unit. We bring a multidisciplinary approach with design thinking, creativity, and behavioural economics to solve complex business problems, digital transformation and early stage commercialisation of data-centric solutions.
How to Apply: Please provide enough information relevant to this position to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability, and upload one document containing your CV/resume and cover letter. If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
To view the full position details and selection criteria click here. Position Details<http://www.csiro.au//~/media/Positions/2015/Data61/9463-Postdoc-Fellow_Roboticss-CSOF4-PD.docx>
Applications Close: 11:59pm AEDT, 5 February 2016
More information about the robotics-worldwide