[robotics-worldwide] [meetings] CfP: HRI16 Workshop on "Challenges and best practices to study HRI in natural interaction settings"

Selma Sabanovic selmas at indiana.edu
Sun Dec 27 09:53:00 PST 2015

Our apologies for multiple postings.

Call for Position Statements

HRI 2016: full-day workshop on

The challenge (not) to go wild!
Challenges and best practices to study HRI in natural interaction settings

https://www.uni-due.de/sozialpsychologie/hriws2016_robotsinthewild.php

07 March 2016, Christchurch, New Zealand

Robots are more and more leaving our labs and entering natural interaction
settings, such as homes, care facilities, factories, kindergartens,
museums, and many more. In the HRI research community, we are aware of all
the challenges involved in studying autonomously behaving agents “in the
wild”. In order “not to go wild” we want to discuss best practices as well
as pitfalls in studying robots in natural interaction settings.
Specifically, we want to focus on*challenges in the development of systems *for
everyday usage in peoples’ homes and on *challenges in evaluating these
systems *in the wild, especially with regard to *long-term interaction*. We
want to discuss and explore common and new methodological approaches to
study HRI outside the lab, and collect recommendations for fellow
researchers. In tandem, we want to reflect our visions for the “new era of
socially capable robots” and how we as robot developers and researchers
imagine them to integrate into the fabrics of our everyday life.

*Submissions*Workshop candidates are requested to send a position paper (no
longer than 4 A4 pages) before 15th of January about a research on HRI and
challenges they have encountered (related to the topics described below) to
a.rosenthalvdpuetten at uni-due.de.

*Topics*

 The following topics should be addressed in the workshop and guide the
submission of position papers:

- Conceptual and technical challenges when developing social robots for the
wild

- Methodological challenges when evaluating HRI outside the lab

- Methodological challenges when evaluating long-term interactions

All position papers must be submitted in PDF format and conform to
conference proceedings specifications for Late Breaking Reports and include
author names. All submissions will be peer-reviewed. Participants will be
selected on the basis of the relevance and comparability/ generalizability
of their work. Authors should send their papers to
a.rosenthalvdpuetten at uni-due.de

*Important Dates*

   - 15 January 2016, Position paper submission
   - 29 January 2016, Notification of acceptance
   - 07 March 2016, Workshop at HRI 2016

* Organizing Committee*

   - Astrid Weiss (Vienna University of Technology, Austria)
   - Astrid Rosenthal-von der Pütten (University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany)
   - Selma Sabanovic (Indiana University, USA)

--
Selma Šabanović, PhD
Assistant Professor of Informatics and Cognitive Science