[robotics-worldwide] [jobs] Medical robotics: Associate Mechanical Design Engineer (Intuitive Surgical)
Simon.DiMaio at intusurg.com
Tue Feb 10 10:46:41 PST 2015
Job Title: Associate Mechanical Design Engineer
Department: Advanced Systems Development
Keywords: medical robotics, computer-assisted surgery, da Vinci Surgical System
Intuitive Surgical designs and manufactures highly-complex robotic systems for use in minimally-invasive surgical applications. We are seeking a candidate with exceptional hands-on design and fabrication skills to play a key role in conceptualizing, developing and validating new concept designs for next-generation surgical systems. This position combines technical support and basic design work for the development, testing, and iteration of high-quality, functional prototypes. The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy team environment and be capable of making sound decisions when faced with the time pressures, ambiguous, and incomplete information typical of research and development
Roles and Responsibilities:
* Work both independently and within a team of experienced engineers to support the development and testing of prototype surgical systems.
* Rapid prototyping of parts, assemblies, cables, and circuits.
* Develop and manage vendors for fabricating components and materials.
* Develop fixtures and processes to assemble and test components and assemblies.
* Manage logistics and supplies for experimental testing of prototypes in clinical labs.
* Manage R&D engineering laboratory supplies, inventory, and operations.
* Develop and support equipment and tools for facilitating collaborations with university research partners.
* Document designs, methodologies, work instructions, and test results.
* A Bachelor or Associate degree in mechanical engineering, mechatronics, or similar.
* Minimum of 2 years of experience designing and building electromechanical components and assemblies, preferably in an industry environment. A lifetime of "tinkering" and personal hardware projects and hobby work is a major plus!
* Experience using CAD design tools, such as SolidWorks and/or ProE.
* Experience with basic electronic components, circuits and cable design. Experience with PCB layout and schematic capture is a plus.
* Hands-on engineering skills for prototyping, fabrication, troubleshooting, experiment design.
* Comfortable operating machine shop equipment.
* Basic understanding of component selection criteria, as well as design for reliability and manufacturability.
* Commitment to quality and high attention to detail.
* An interest in the medical applications of robotics, with the ability to observe surgical procedures.
* Demonstrated excellent verbal and written communication.
* Demonstrated ability to excel within a high-energy, small, focused team environment, to maintain a strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward, and to make work fun and interesting.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please email me and submit your resume online here:
Thank you for your interest,
Simon DiMaio, Ph.D.
Sr. Manager, Applied Research and Advanced Systems | Intuitive Surgical, Inc. |
1266 Kifer Road, Sunnyvale, CA, USA | tel 408.523.2309 | www.intuitivesurgical.com
More information about the robotics-worldwide