[robotics-worldwide] [news] Free Object Set for Benchmarking Robot Manipulation at ICRA Tutorial

Aaron Dollar aaron.dollar at yale.edu
Sat Feb 28 18:26:08 PST 2015

Fellow Roboticists -

We will be hosting a half-day tutorial at ICRA (morning of Tuesday May 26)
to introduce, describe, discuss, and distribute the Yale-CMU-Berkeley (YCB)
Object and Model Set, designed to help facilitate common evaluation methods
for a wide range of research in robotic manipulation. The objects in the set
are designed to cover a wide range of aspects of the manipulation problem;
it includes objects of daily life with different shapes, sizes, textures,
weight, and rigidity, as well as some widely used manipulation tests. The
associated database provides high-resolution RGBD scans, physical
properties, and geometric models of the objects for easy incorporation into
manipulation and planning software platforms. We also provide a framework
and a number of example task protocols, laying out how the set can be used
to quantitatively evaluate a range of manipulation approaches including
planning, learning, mechanical design, control, and many others. The project
website will soon be expanded to be a community web portal through which
researchers can contribute to the effort, through proposing new protocols
and benchmarks or modifying existing ones, as well as publicizing and
tracking performance results (e.g. a "world record" database for individual
protocols).